Edmondson comes up one step short

Team's 2A title dreams ruined by Urbana, 51-18

High Schools


November 28, 1999|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

COLLEGE PARK -- Before his Class 2A state title game against defending-champion Urbana, Edmondson football coach Pete Pompey likened the Hawks to "a well-oiled machine."

The 25th-year coach's comments proved prophetic.

The Hawks of Frederick County pounded the Redskins, 51-18, yesterday on a muddy field at the University of Maryland's Byrd Stadium.

Urbana (12-0) won its 24th straight game and second consecutive state championship, and it ended Edmondson's winning streak at 18 games. The Redskins finished 12-1.

It was the fourth state title for Urbana coach Dave Carruthers, a former Seneca Valley assistant whose 158-55 career record includes two state crowns as head coach at Linganore.

"I wasn't lying about them, was I?" said Pompey, whose 182 career victories are tied for first place with Patterson's Roger Wrenn among Baltimore City's active coaches.

"The slippery field, the footing, it hurt us and took away our outside game," Pompey said. "But they had to run on the same field. They just did a better job of it than we did."

Penn State-bound quarterback Zack Mills was 15-for-20 for 231 of the Hawks' 538 offensive yards, and John Andrews rushed for 89 yards and three first-half touchdowns as Urbana built a 28-0 lead en route to scoring a 2A state title game-record 51 points.

Receiver Billy Gaines (six receptions, 115 yards) grabbed his team-leading 15th touchdown reception for Urbana, and Alex Herbert rushed for 92 yards and a score.

Edmondson running back Raytron Leak, who played with a bruised shoulder, entered the game with 30 touchdowns -- 15 receiving and 15 rushing. Leak finished with 137 yards and two second-half scores, including a 75-yarder with 3: 34 to play, but he was limited to 6 rushing yards in a first half during which the Redskins got minus-13 yards rushing. Edmondson trailed at the half, 28-6.

The Redskins' lone score of the first half came when Eddie Colbert (10 of 27, 216 yards), facing third-and-29 and throwing from his end zone, found Justus McLeod (four receptions, 110 yards) on a 93-yard scoring pass 27 seconds before halftime.

Pompey credited Urbana linemen Stew Alcorn (6 feet 2, 290 pounds) and Kevin Mager (6-4, 325) for exposing "the inexperience on our offensive line that we had been able to hide all year."

"We were very nervous about their speed," Alcorn said. "I didn't sleep at all last night or the night before because Leak is so fast. I had dreams about what if this happened on the first play or if that happened on the first play. We had a couple of mistakes penalty-wise, but other than that we did our job and we won because we did our job."

Andrews also played well, with an interception and a sack. Dustin Sparks had two sacks, Chris O'Connor (three receptions, 38 yards, one touchdown) had a fumble and a sack, John Jordan had a sack and Kevin Palmer had an interception.

The field's poor conditions from a downpour the day before affected Edmondson, which relies on its speed.

"This was the first time we've played under conditions like this," McLeod said. "We were slipping all over the field, all game long."

Edmondson twice had scoring opportunities while trailing 14-0. It drove to the Urbana 6, where it fumbled, and to the Hawks' 43, where Colbert was intercepted by Andrews.

"It might have been different if the conditions were better, but whether its icy, hot, you still have to go out and play the game," Leak said.

"They [the Hawks] are wonderful athletes. All season long, people said we played a weak schedule, but we played hard every game. We've been underdogs from the beginning, but we proved ourselves."

Edmondson 0 6 0 12 -- 18

Urbana 14 14 7 16 -- 51

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.