Retrievers run out of time against Duke

2-goal lead unravels

Devils win, 4-3, in OT

November 22, 1999|By Rupen Fofaria | Rupen Fofaria,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

DURHAM, N.C. -- When this journey began, the UMBC men's soccer team thought success would be measured by gaining respect. Yesterday, having had victory within reach, even "success" was no consolation for blowing a lead and an opportunity to oust No. 1 Duke at home.

In the 102nd minute of the game, regulation having passed and the first overtime drawing to an end, Duke freshman midfielder Trevor Perea scored a bizarre, game-winning goal off a corner kick to give the top-seeded Blue Devils a 4-3 victory in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

"Some can perceive this as a moral victory," UMBC coach Pete Caringi said. "But we had the mind-set of winning. Some people will call this a moral victory and give us respect for taking Duke to overtime -- but we could've, we should've won. I'm not big on moral victories."

Caringi and his Retrievers entered the contest yesterday confused by their draw. After posting an undefeated regular season, UMBC (19-0-2) was rewarded with a first-round matchup with the nation's No. 1 team. Sure, the Retrievers' schedule lacked the glitter of Top 25 opponents, but the team had tried scheduling marquee matchups and was denied.

The Retrievers, though, used the snub as motivation and insisted on playing the "same soccer we have all year, and we'll see how Duke does against it," said tri-captain Despite missing a penalty kick in the closing minutes of the half, the Retrievers decidedly owned the momentum, having more than gained the respect of their opponent and the 2,107 in attendance at Koskinen Stadium. But respect was a parting gift -- the Retrievers wanted to win.

"I know we proved ourselves, gained a lot of respect," Engram said, "but it wasn't about that. We came here to do more."

The Retrievers opened the second half as if they expected to win. They continued to control the conds later, UMBC's Giuliano Celenza's kick ricocheted off the left post and Engram put the Retrievers up 3-1 with a put-back.

But it was then that the Retrievers' weakness beat them.

"We're really not a defensive-minded team," Caringi said. "We're here up 3-1. I thought: `Let's try and score another.' "

Duke responded as a skilled team does, exploiting UMBC. With 40 minutes to play, the Blue Devils scored once within the game's next 15 minutes and tied the score in the game's last 10 minu-captain Peter Gailtold told him the near post wasn't benefiting them much, so aim for the other one.

"He told me to aim for the far post, and I think I ended up hitting it," Perea said.

Goals: UMBC--Engram 2, Halter; D--Curtis, McIntosh, Perea, Russell. Assists: UMBC--Engram, Hamilton; D--Gial, Sakuda. Saves: UMBC--Rowland 4; D--Haywood 3. Half: 1-1.

Terps fall, too

Carlo Acquista scores with 1: 37 remaining in regulation, leading unseeded St. John's over Maryland, 1-0, in first round of NCAA men's soccer tournament. 4d

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.