Dulaney draws share of the prize, 1-1

Lions earn co-champion status with overtime challenge of Churchill

Class 4A boys soccer championship

High Schools

November 19, 1999|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Dulaney and Winston Churchill went through 80 minutes of regulation, and twenty minutes of sudden-death overtime last night before 3,000 at UMBC Stadium.

By the end of the Class 4A state championship game, however, their was still one question remaining.

Who took home the big trophy?

With a 1-1 tie, the teams become the 14th co-champions in the tournament's 29-year history. They were the first co-titlists in Class 4A since Arundel and Bowie shared the crown in 1987.

Last year, Linganore and Thomas Stone split the crown in Class 3A.

For a Dulaney team that began the season unranked, getting a share of the state title was reason for celebration.

"We came into this season a really young team, and a lot of people didn't think we'd do this," said Dulaney coach Stephen Shaw. "But not this team. Our players have always believed in themselves."

It was Dulaney's first piece of a state championship after losing in the finals in 1974 and 1994.

For the Bulldogs (14-2-2), whose season included a 5-0 win over Calvert Hall, a 2-1 win over No. 3 Archbishop Curley and last week's 2-1 semifinal win over Severna Park, the tie was somewhat less endearing.

"I don't like it," said Churchill coach David Kelley, whose team lost last year's final to Chesapeake of Anne Arundel County. "They have to end the game somehow, but co-champions is kind of a strange feeling."

The Bulldogs picked up a piece of their fourth state title in the past eight years, and sixth since 1980.

Churchill dominated early, taking the first three shots before fullback Bryson Keenan scored following a scramble in front of the net with 30: 05 left in the first half.

Dulaney (15-1-1), however, regrouped and had several scoring opportunities.

After coming up empty each time, the Lions finally struck gold when, following a restart, midfielder Mike Hoeck beat goalie Adam Grossman to his left with a hard grounder from 15 yards out.

Said Hoeck: "They were the team in the first half, but we came out in the second half, passed it around the guys, did our job and played great defense."

Each team had chances to win it in regulation.

With just under 10 minutes left, the Bulldogs' Patricio Ray sent a sliding shot just wide.

Moments later, Dulaney's Steve Toutsis sent a header that missed the goal by inches before Churchill's Scott Goldberg cleared it.

Despite being outshot, 13-7, the Lions saw it as a victory. And despite walking away with the smaller trophy on this night -- by the flip of a coin -- they will soon receive their rightful piece of hardware.

"Nobody expected us to win," Hoeck said. "All my friends said, `You guys are going to get killed.' I was like, `I don't know -- maybe, maybe not.' "

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.