Randallstown knocks off Milford Mill

Trader scores in OT, gives No. 3 Rams revenge over No. 2 Millers, 14-6

Class 3A football

November 13, 1999|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

One week after being blitzed by its Liberty Road corridor rival, No. 3 Randallstown returned the favor against No. 2 Milford Mill last night, outlasting the Millers, 14-6, in overtime in a state Class 3A quarterfinal game at Catonsville Community College.

In ending Milford Mill's winning streak at 12 games, Randallstown (9-2) received a return trip to the semifinal round, where it will meet Thomas Stone of Charles County next weekend .

The Rams were shut down by the Milford Mill (10-1) defense, which carried the Millers in the absence of All-Metro quarterback Richard Johnson, who suffered a mild concussion in the opening quarter and didn't return.

Down 6-0 and facing a fourth-and-10 at the Millers' 14 with 1: 02 remaining in regulation, Rams quarterback Archie Trader found Quan Mitchell open in the right corner of the end zone to tie the game.

On the opening possession of overtime, Trader scored on a 6-yard run, leaping from the 2 into the end zone. Davon Johnson ran in the two-point conversion.

"This is redemption and revenge," said Trader, a 5-foot-8 senior, whose team had 167 total yards. "All week, people around school said we couldn't beat them."

The Millers had their opportunity to tie, but after three incomplete passes, Randallstown's Wilbert Epps sacked Jermere Sims, setting off a wild celebration.

It was redemption for Randallstown and Trader a year after a costly fumble in last season's 2A semifinal loss to Fort Hill.

Last weekend, Milford Mill pounded Randallstown, 48-31, in the team's regular-season finale as Johnson piled up 359 total yards.

Johnson, the area's most sought-after senior, with scholarship offers from schools that include Florida State and Virginia Tech, was hit attempting to run on a two-point conversion midway in the first quarter.

The Millers' offense tried valiantly, but couldn't get much accomplished without their leader. Milford Mill totaled 120 yards, but only 49 after Johnson left.

"They played their hearts out," said Milford Mill coach Reggie Brooks. "We wanted to make it a field-position game. Richard does a lot for us, so it was difficult for us to move the ball."

The Millers' defense shut down Randallstown until its final possession of regulation. The Rams went 57 yards in nine plays. The drive produced as many first downs (four) as the Rams got in the opening three quarters.

After stopping the Rams on their opening possession, Milford Mill marched down the field attacking Randallstown's middle.

On second and goal from the 3, Johnson quick-pitched the ball to Sims, who went untouched into the end zone with 5: 20 remaining in the first quarter.

The Millers went for the two-point conversion as Johnson rolled to his right and was met by a group of tacklers.

Johnson laid on his stomach for about three minutes before getting up and being helped to the sidelines.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.