No. 1 John Carroll knocks out Pirates, 1-0

Whelehan's 1st-half goal puts Pats into tourney final

IAAM soccer

High Schools

November 12, 1999|By Jeremy Bryant | Jeremy Bryant,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Top-ranked John Carroll knew it would be facing a good soccer goalkeeper in No. 6 Notre Dame Prep's Lauren Stone, but the Patriots had an answer yesterday -- shoot, shoot, shoot.

They outshot the Pirates 24-3 en route to their 1-0 win in an Independent Athletic Association of Maryland semifinal yesterday.

John Carroll forward Katie Whelehan scored the game-winner from 5 yards in the 34th minute off a pass from Jen Biscoe.

But for that shot, the Patriots (19-1-1) were repeatedly denied by Stone, who made 13 saves.

"[Stone] is really good, and we are friends, so it feels good to score on her," Whelehan said. "Everyone really wanted this game, because this is where we got knocked out last year."

The Patriots lost in the semifinals of the then-Catholic League tournament last year to St. Mary's. Teams in that league and the Association of Independent Schools merged to form the IAAM this fall.

Biscoe knew scoring on Stone would be difficult. That's why she moved the ball toward the goal and passed back to Whelehan instead of shooting.

"We knew [Stone] was too good for most shots," Biscoe said. "We needed to score on a play like we did to get the ball past her."

John Carroll coach Gary Lynch said that Notre Dame (13-5-1) played his team as well as anyone.

The Pirates, he said, "brought their `A game' today and played us real tough. Stone made some great saves and really kept her team in the ball game."

The Patriots defense of Morgan Russell, Shannon Seipp, Megan Sparks and Kerry VanShura consistently beat their opponents to the ball, limiting Notre Dame's scoring opportunities.

"We were a step behind, and they got to the balls, especially in the first half," said Pirates coach Mark Deaton. "Our defense played well, though, and [Stone] had a wonderful game."

John Carroll will play the winner of the other semifinal game between McDonogh and St. Mary's for the IAAM title. That game was suspended yesterday with the scored tied, 2-2, after the second 10-minute overtime period.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.