Trial begins for man charged in Jan. killing outside Eastport store

Victim's cousin identifies Logan as the gunman

November 09, 1999|By Andrea F. Siegel | Andrea F. Siegel,SUN STAFF

The cousin of an Annapolis man killed in January told an Anne Arundel County jury yesterday that he saw John Thomas Logan approach a taxicab and shoot Wayne Dwight Addison while Addison sat in the front passenger seat.

Terry Johnson, who was also in the cab, said the two men briefly exchanged words before Logan pointed a .38-caliber gun at Addison while the cab was parked in front of Sanky's Groceries in Annapolis' Eastport neighborhood.

"He shot two times, but ain't nothing come out. He shot three more times," said Johnson, adding that the mortally wounded Addison then flopped into the empty driver's seat.

Johnson said his cousin was unarmed. "He didn't have no gun on him. If he did, I would have shot Mr. Logan," Johnson testified.

Logan, 22, of the 1000 block of Monroe St. is charged with first-degree murder and two related charges in the Jan. 22 death of Addison, 21, who lived in the 100 block of Brightwater Drive.

In the opening day of a trial expected to last all week, Johnson provided the jury with possible motives for the crime.

Johnson said that early in the evening, he, Addison and two others in the cab saw Logan standing with two men. As they drove by, Addison yelled at them not to stand by Logan, because he would call police. As the taxi passed, its occupants laughed.

Logan and Addison "had a little dispute going on" over money for a car, Johnson testified.

At the time of the shooting, the cab was stopped in front of Sanky's store on Monroe Street. The driver went into the store to get change. When gunfire erupted, another occupant fled. Logan said he cradled his bleeding cousin, but also went through his pockets. He said he was searching for valuables to prevent paramedics from stealing them but came up only with keys. A police officer testified that small amounts of drugs were found in the taxi, but at least one of the packets appeared to be old.

Johnson said he told police Logan was the shooter. He said Logan walked toward his home about 40 yards away after the incident. He was arrested the next day, after a reporter for a local newspaper spotted him.

Logan's lawyers, Daryl D. Jones and Kim Germaine Judd, offered no indication of what their defense might be, but implied that there was more to the story surrounding Addison's killing. Jones said he was unsure if Logan would testify.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.