No. 6 Chesapeake goes on scoring spree, bags N. County, 5-0

Victory launches Cougars to final vs. Severna Park

Boys soccer


Chesapeake's dominance started right from the first whistle and the goals soon followed against North County in last night's Class 4A East region semifinal at Severna Park.

Getting possession first, running off the ball full blast and using the entire field - ingredients that led the No. 6-ranked Cougars to the state championship a year ago - were once again on display in a 5-0 win that sends them back to the region final.

Chesapeake (15-2) will meet host Severna Park at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

Junior striker Adrian Titus, finding more room with the recent strong play of fellow striker Karl Watson, led the way for the Cougars with two goals and an assist.

"Yeah, I think we're on course," said Chesapeake coach Earl Eckhardt. "We're not a real build-up team, but we can go pretty quick. Karl has really come into his own the last couple of games and that gives us two threats up there with Adrian."

Titus (two goals, one assist) got the goal-scoring spree started off a feed from Watson in the 19th minute.

After Watson ran through a defender on his way to right end line, he sent a ball in the middle, which Titus made no mistake on from 8 yards out.

Dave Chapman headed home a Craig Drenning long throw that was flicked on by Stephen Abey, making it 2-0 with 14 minutes left in the half.

In their playoff opener against Old Mill on Wednesday, the Cougars had a 2-0 halftime lead slip away, needing a penalty kick shootout to survive.

That wasn't the ease yesterday Abey scored in the first minute of the second half and Titus and Joe Butkasoon followed with goals to put the game away.

"We were focusing on not having another letdown in the second half, and I think we came back out and scored less than a minute in," Eckhardt said.

Severna Park 2, C. M. Wright 1: Senior Chris Boyd scored with 5.40 left in the first overtime to send Severna Park to the Class 4A East region final.

Jerry Cornett got the deciding goal started with a long run from midfield. After dribbling into trouble just inside the penalty area, Jon Traylor picked up the loose ball and sent a low shot to the near post that Wright keeper Zach Keeseeker turned aside. But Boyd was right there for the rebound.

"That goal was all Jerry Cornett. He made the run from midfield and then Jon picked it up from there," Boyd said. "He put a nice shot on, hard and low, and I was just there for he rebound."

There was another hero at the other end.

Severna Park reserve keeper Dan Korpon came in early in the second half and finished with eight saves after starter Jon Hopp left by ambulance with a mild concussion after colliding with Ryan Sedlak.

Severna Park had a 1-0 lead three minutes into the second half, moments prior to Hopp's injury.

Simon Groseclose sent a well-placed corner kick past keeper Zach Keesecker that went in off a Wright defender.

The Mustangs pressed for the tying goal with Korpon making a reaction save off a point-blank shot from Chad Eberly with just under 10 minutes to play.

But the Mustangs found the tying goal one minute later when Ryan Sedlak collected a loose ball in front and finished.

Korpon kept it tied, aggressively leaving his line to get to a ball first, with Eberly nearby. He then drove to his left to turn aside a header from Eberly with five minutes left.

Some creative play from Traylor highlighted an otherwise quiet first half that ended scoreless.

The Falcons' best chance came midway through the half when Traylor found Cornett at the corner flag. Cornett served a cross in that eventually found Groseclose at the far post, but his shot was saved by Keesecker.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.