Nine displaced as clothes dryer starts fire in apartment house

November 05, 1999

A malfunction in a clothes dryer caused a fire in a Westminster apartment house yesterday afternoon, displacing nine people, authorities said.

Firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the first-floor laundry room when they arrived at 62 Liberty St. about 1 p.m.

Firefighters from Westminster, Reese, Pleasant Valley and Manchester brought the blaze under control within 15 minutes.

Three adults and six children displaced by the fire were being assisted by Red Cross volunteers.

State fire marshal deputies determined that a malfunction in the dryer ignited nearby combustibles. Damage was estimated at $15,000.

Boy Scout troop holding sale of boxed citrus fruit

Boy Scout Troop 381 of Westminster is having its annual fall sale of navel oranges, pink seedless grapefruit and Christmas tangerines.

Boxes of oranges and grapefruit weigh about 20 pounds each. Cost is $12 for oranges and $10 for grapefruit. Tangerines are in a 10-pound box only and cost $10.

Orders will be taken until Nov. 21. Scouts and their parents will deliver the fruit free of charge anywhere in Carroll County the weekend of Dec. 4, weather permitting.

Mail orders can be sent with name, address, where fruit is to be delivered, phone number and check to Scout Troop 381, P.O. Box 381, Westminster 21158.

Phone orders will be taken at 410-848-5731. All calls will be returned to verify orders.

A second sale in January will offer navel oranges, honeybell tangelos and pink grapefruit.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.