Philip A. Madden, 71, microbiologist, singerPhilip A...

October 29, 1999

Philip A. Madden, 71, microbiologist, singer

Philip A. Madden, a retired U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) microbiologist who later worked in the state gypsy moth eradication program, died Saturday of cardiopulmonary arrest at his Davidsonville home. He was 71.

From 1953 to 1981, he was a microbiologist and electron microscopist at the USDA's Animal Disease Center in Beltsville. He then worked for the state Department of Agriculture's Forest Pest Management program, which attempted to suppress the destructive gypsy moth. He retired a second time in 1997.

He was born in Washington and raised in Hyattsville, where he graduated from high school. After serving in the Marine Corps for two years, he earned a bachelor's degree in microbiology from the University of Maryland in 1952.

An avid barbershop singer, he was a member of the Sons of the Severn chapter of the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America. He also belonged to the Davidsonville Ruritan Club and had served as scoutmaster for Cub Scout Pack 84.

He was a communicant of Our Lady of the Fields Roman Catholic Church in Millersville.

Plans for a memorial service were incomplete yesterday.

He is survived by his wife, the former Cecelia McCloskey, whom he married in 1954; three sons, Steven P. Madden of Pasadena, James E. Madden of Annapolis and Philip C. Madden of Davidsonville; a daughter, Kathleen Beach of Bowie; a sister, Helen VanFleet of St. Michaels; and three grandchildren.

Mildred M. Schwartz, 79, taught learning disabled

Mildred Margaret Schwartz, a teacher who assisted children with learning disabilities, died Tuesday of cancer at the home of her daughter in Annapolis. She was 79 and lived in Timonium.

A teacher at Bethlehem Christian Day School in Northeast Baltimore, she joined its faculty in 1987 and taught until last month.

"Millie would listen, observe, evaluate, and work closely with her students until she discovered their strengths, inspired self-confidence and understood their leaning styles," said Alice Moore, principal at the Bethlehem School.

Born in Boston, the former Mildred Joyce moved to Baltimore in the 1930s after her graduation from Hopewell High School and Fredericksburg State Teachers College in Virginia.

In the late 1960s, she returned to school and earned a degree in education from then-Towson State College, a master's degree in speech pathology and audiology from Loyola College and a second master's degree in Communicative Disabilities from the Johns Hopkins University.

In 1954 she married Allan E. Schwartz Sr., who died in 1991.

Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. today at Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.

She is survived by a son, Allan Schwartz Jr. of Elkridge; a daughter, Kathryn Parrott of Annapolis; a sister, Ilene Nonemaker of Hamilton; and three granddaughters.

Anne P. Leikus, 83, photography studio owner

Anne P. Leikus, co-owner of an East Baltimore photography studio whose specialty was photographing brides and students, died Sunday of cancer. She was 83.

Mrs. Leikus and her husband, Bruno, whom she married in 1940, operated the studio from their home in the 1700 block of Bank St., from 1948 until 1973, when they closed the business. Mr. Leikus died in 1997.

"They were part of the big-five photographers in town that included Udel, Bachrach, Paul Jordan and Rettberg. She managed the business while my father took care of all the photography, and there weren't many Polish weddings that they missed," said a son, Dennis A. Leikus of Timonium.

Born Anne Padnuk, and raised in Pigtown, Mrs. Leikus was the daughter of Russian immigrants who settled there. She was a Southern High School graduate.

She was active with Lithuanian cultural organizations and was a communicant of Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church, where services were held yesterday.

She is survived by two other sons, Bernard B. Leikus of Timo- nium and and Lawrence B. Leikus of Carney, and five grandchildren.

Charles H. Thornton, 81, Western Electric supervisor

Charles Hermann Thornton, a retired Western Electric supervisor, died Tuesday of pneumonia at Long View Nursing Home in Manchester. He was 81 and lived in Rockdale.

He retired in 1986 after working for 49 years with Western Electric Corp. He supervised the installation of telephone office equipment throughout Maryland and the District of Columbia.

Born in St. Joe, Ind., where he graduated from St. Joe High School, he served as a quartermaster aboard the U.S.S. Eldorado during World War II. While in the Pacific Theater, he witnessed the famous raising of the American flag on Mount Suribachi at Iwo Jima.

He enjoyed tennis, volleyball, golf, fishing and bowling.

In 1950, he married the former Alta Ruth Carper, who died in 1958. In 1977, he wed the former Phyllis Papi, who died in 1997.

Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. today at St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, 7902 Liberty Rd., where he was a member of the church council and an usher.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.