Electrical fire damages warehouse in Westminster

October 06, 1999

Improper wiring in an electrical outlet caused a fire that damaged a warehouse on Railroad Avenue in Westminster early yesterday morning, the state fire marshal's office said.

The fire was discovered by Westminster Security Fire Alarm and a passer-by shortly after midnight in the 100 block of Railroad Ave. Firefighters found smoke coming from the 149-by-85-foot wood-frame warehouse upon arrival.

Firefighters found the fire in an enclosed storage room and confined it to that area. An activated sprinkler system helped keep the fire from spreading, officials said.

Damage was estimated at $150,000.

Units from Westminster, Reese, Pleasant Valley, Manchester, Hampstead and Winfield responded and remained on the scene until 3 a.m.

The fire marshal's office said part of the warehouse was used by a Little Debbie distributor and Random House to store books. Deputy fire marshals said the fire was accidental.

Fire

Westminster: Firefighters from Westminster and Reese responded at 5: 11 p.m. Monday to a garage fire in the 100 block of Pennsylvania Ave. Units were out 26 minutes.

Police

Westminster: A resident of East Green Street told police Saturday that someone broke a window in his van and took a generator. Loss is estimated at $1,300.

Westminster: A resident of Greengate Court told police Monday that someone entered her vehicle and took property. Loss is estimated at $260.

Digests, datebook

If you have information for the community digests or datebook, call Ellie Baublitz at 410-751-7910 during the day, leave a voice mail message after hours or fax news releases to 410-751-7916.

Pub Date: 10/06/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.