Robert A. Boenning, 67, electrical engineerRobert A...

August 31, 1999

Robert A. Boenning, 67, electrical engineer

Robert A. Boenning, a retired Westinghouse Electric Corp. electrical engineer who held numerous patents, died Aug. 24 of complications from heart surgery at St. Joseph Medical Center. He was 67 and lived in Timonium.

He was an electrical engineer and manager at Westinghouse from 1957 to 1995 when he retired from the Integrated Logistics Support Division in Hunt Valley. An expert in electrical sensors, he was awarded more than 16 patents for motion, electrical current, angle, vapor and cable chafing sensors.

Since 1995, he had been a consultant with the Potomac American Group, insurance and engineering consultants, which performs investigations and analyses on failed electrical systems.

Born in Southeast Baltimore, he was a 1950 graduate of Baltimore Polytechnic Institute and served in the Coast Guard until 1957. He earned an engineering degree from the Johns Hopkins University in 1962.

He was a registered professional engineer, a certified professional logistician and a member of the National Society of Professional Engineers, the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers and the Society of Logistics Engineers.

He enjoyed building and flying remote-controlled model aircraft, composing music and playing the organ.

His wife of 45 years, the former Irene Marlene Rusky, died in 1998.

Services were held Saturday .

He is survived by two brothers, William R. Boenning of Columbia and Charles B. Boenning of Cincinnati.

Betty Lake Lanahan, 77, owned several race horses

Betty Lake Lanahan, who owned horses that competed in steeplechase races, died of cancer Saturday at the Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. She was 77 and lived in Ruxton.

She and her husband, Wallace Lanahan Jr., who worked in the State Department's Foreign Service before moving to Maryland in 1942, owned several horses that ran in steeplechase races, including Sam Son of a Gun, who was horse of the year in 1981. Their horses won two Virginia Gold Cups, two New Jersey Hunt Cups, two Pennsylvania Hunt Cups and two Grand Nationals.

But Mrs. Lanahan celebrated victories from a distance -- she was apprehensive around the powerful animals.

She served on the Women's Board of Johns Hopkins Hospital and was a nurse's aide at the Happy Hills Convalescent Home for Children from 1944 to 1945. She was a member of the Mount Vernon Club and the Garden Club of Twenty.

The former Betty Lake was born and reared in Vina del Mar, Chile, where she graduated from high school.

Services will be held at 11: 00 a.m. today at St. Thomas Episcopal Church, 232 St. Thomas Lane, Garrison Forest.

She is survived by her husband of 57 years, Wallace Lanahan Jr. of Ruxton; two sons, W. Wallace Lanahan III of Ruxton and Michael B. Lanahan of Dallas; a daughter, Barbara L. Mauro of Washington; and seven grandchildren.

Aaron Lee Cummings, 47, construction worker

Aaron Lee Cummings, a retired construction worker and Northeast Baltimore resident, died Thursday of a bacterial infection at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was 47.

For more than 25 years until he retired on a disability in 1994, he had been employed by Burley Construction Co. in Baltimore.

The East Baltimore native graduated from city schools. He was a member of New Psalmist Baptist Church in Southwest Baltimore and enjoyed woodworking, vegetable gardening and collecting stamps and baseball cards.

Services for Mr. Cummings will be held at 5: 30 p.m. Thursday at March Funeral Home East, 1101 E. North Ave.

He is survived by his wife of 29 years, the former Cynthia Scott; three sons, Sean K. Murray, Aaron L. Cummings and Anthony Lee Cummings; a daughter, Vanessa Cummings; his mother, Helen Cummings; two brothers, Charles Cummings and Robert Cummings; three sisters, Helen Witherspoon, Vanessa Cummings and Patricia Cummings, all of Baltimore; and 10 grandchildren.

Aaron T. Mondloch, 21, former Bel Air resident

Aaron Thomas Mondloch, a college student and former Bel Air resident, died Thursday of pulmonary edema at his home in Annandale, N.J. He was 21.

Mr. Mondloch, who was born in Galax, Va., had lived in Bel Air for 14 years before moving in 1994 to Annandale, where he graduated from Hunterdon Central High School in 1996. He was an engineering student at Raritan Valley Community College in Raritan, N.J.

In Bel Air, he played football at Bel Air High School, was a communicant of St. Margaret Roman Catholic Church and was active in scouting.

Services were held Sunday in Bridgewater, N.J.

He is survived by his parents, Thomas and Beverly Mondloch of Annandale; a brother, Joshua Mondloch of Annandale; paternal grandparents, Jim and Joyce McCullough of Fairfax, Va.; maternal grandmother, Doris Koogle of Baltimore; and several aunts, uncles and cousins.

C. Warren Martin, 79, Sun advertising manager

C. Warren Martin, a retired advertising manager at The Sun, died of a stroke Saturday at his Towson home. He was 79.

In 1954, Mr. Martin began working at the newspaper as an advertising solicitor and later was promoted to account executive in the national travel department. He retired as manager of the unit in 1985.

"He went to the wall for all of his customers, and did everything he could to make sure they were happy," said Carol Mancini, an account executive for auction advertising who worked with Mr. Martin for 12 years.

Born and raised in Haywood, W. Va., Mr. Martin served in the Army during World War II.

Services are scheduled for 11 a.m. today at Hardesty Funeral Home, 12 Ridgely Ave., Annapolis.

His wife of 21 years, the former Bernice E. Beck, died in 1967.

He is survived by a daughter, Tracey A. Nosal of Crownsville.

More obituaries next page

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.