Harford attorney faces hearing in drunk-driving case


The attorney for Harford County A. Frank Carven III, remains on the job pending a hearing Oct. 5 on charges of drunken driving, after his arrest in Ocean City last week-end.

Carven. who was attending the Maryland Association of Counties convention, was arrested driving a county-owned car Aug 20.

John O'Neill, director of administration for Harford County, said Carven had just left a party when the arrest occurred. O'Neill said county officials are waiting until after Carven's court hearing to decide what action to take.

O'Neill, who has been a friend of Carven's for more than 20 years, said county officials were stunned by the incident.

"This floored me," O'Neill said. "You can't imagine something like this because it's totally out of character for him"

Carven has referred all questions to O'Neill.

Carven was appointed county attorney by Harford County Executive James M. Harkins last year. He formerly served as executive assistant to then - Gov. William Donald Schaefer and as chief of staff to Lt. Gov. Melvin A. Steinberg.

Carven who lives in Bel Air, is vice president and a director of the Families of TWA Flight 800. His sister, Paula, and her 9-year-old son, Jay, died in the explosion of TWA Flight 800 over Long Island Sound in July 1996.

The drunken driving arrest took place after Carven was spotted by a patrol officer shortly before 1:30 a.m., said Officer Jay Hancock, spokesman for the Ocean City Police Department.

"The officer was traveling northbound on Coastal Highway at 59th Street and saw a car which was weaving from lane to lane," Hancock said.

Hancock said the officer gave Carven 47, a series of sobriety tests before he was arrested Carven was released on his own recognizance. The hearing will be in Ocean City District Court.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.