Six killed in city over period of 2 days

Arrests made in 1 case

latest fatal shooting occurred early yesterday

August 19, 1999|By Richard Irwin and Peter Hermann | Richard Irwin and Peter Hermann,SUN STAFF

Six fatal shootings occurred in the city during the past two days, and police made arrests in one of the incidents.

The latest killing occurred about 3: 50 a.m. yesterday in the 2000 block of Guilford Ave. when Antwan Brown, 18, of the 2400 block of Barclay St. was shot three times by two gunmen, police said.

Detective Carol Opher said Northern District officers, who responded to a report of a shooting, arrested two male suspects and recovered a handgun.

Deandre Jones, 19, of the 300 block of S. Spring Court and Damon Rogers, 22, of the 400 block of E. 28th St. were each charged with first-degree murder and a handgun violation, Opher said.

At 1: 50 a.m. yesterday, Davon Blue, 24, of the 3700 block of Independence Ave. was shot during an attempted robbery in the 5500 block of Bowleys Lane.

Witnesses told Detective Clifton Macer that Blue was running from a gunman when he was shot in the back. He died an hour later at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Macer said.

At 12: 37 a.m. yesterday, Travis Stokes, 23, whose address was not available, was shot several times by an unknown assailant in the 2500 block of E. Preston St., police said.

Stokes died about 30 minutes later at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

About 1 a.m. Tuesday, Shawn Jackson, 16, of the 1600 block of Cliftview Ave. was shot in the head and left arm in the 1500 block of Cliftview Ave., police said.

David Johnson, 19, of East Baltimore, who was with Jackson, was shot in a leg, police said.

Police said Jackson and Johnson were taken to Hopkins, where Jackson died at 7: 35 p.m. Tuesday.

Johnson was in good condition yesterday, police said.

Warren Rasberry, 25, of the 500 block of Engle Ave. in Waverly was outside K & H Food Market in the 1700 block of N. Fulton Ave. about 7: 15 p.m. Tuesday, when two men, one with a handgun, robbed him of an undisclosed sum of money and then shot him in the left side of the head, police said.

Rasberry died a short time later at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, police said.

Witnesses told police that the assailants drove off in a red four-door vehicle.

About 11: 30 a.m. Tuesday, Derrick Holmes, 29, of the 600 block of N. Pulaski St. was shot several times in the 600 block of Brice St., police said.

He died while being treated by Fire Department medics, said Detective Wayne Jones.

Pub Date: 8/19/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.