Shirley Lucille York, 70, dance instructor

Shirley Lucille...

August 15, 1999

Shirley Lucille York, 70, dance instructor;

Shirley Lucille York, a dance instructor who specialized in the mambo and the cha-cha, died at her Northwest Baltimore home of cancer on Tuesday. She was 70.

Born in Mount Airy, the former Shirley Resnick owned and operated a coat store called Furry Fakes in Mount Washington Village for 25 years. She dedicated many hours to charity work, even raising funds for the oncology department at the University of Maryland Medical Center during her illness.

She is survived by her husband, Jesse York; her daughters, Hilary La Ricci of Baltimore and Melenie York of New York City; her brother, Baltimore District Court Judge Alan Resnick of Baltimore; and her son-in-law, Rick La Ricci of Baltimore.

In lieu of flowers, donations for a small garden at the University of Maryland Medical Center may be made to the Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center at the University of Maryland, 22 S. Greene St., Baltimore 21201.

Frank John Yurkanin, 81, insurance agency owner

Frank John Yurkanin, a retired Harford County insurance agency owner, died Monday of cancer at Mariner Health of Bel Air. He was 81 and lived in Fallston.

Mr. Yurkanin owned an insurance agency until retiring in 1979. Previously, he worked for Rheem Manufacturing Co. in Fallston and for the Travelers Insurance Agency.

A baseball enthusiast, Mr. Yurkanin was a lifetime member of the Oldtimers Baseball Association of Baltimore and the Oriole Advocates. He also worked in the Fallston Little League in the early 1970s.

He was a member of St. Mark's Roman Catholic Church in Fallston, where a funeral Mass was offered Thursday. He also belonged to the Knights of Columbus, the American Legion of Dunmore, Pa., and the Catholic War Veterans.

Mr. Yurkanin was born in Dunmore and attended schools there.

During World War II, he served with the Army and was stationed in Germany.

In addition to his wife, the former Flora Roslosnik, whom he married in 1950, he is survived by two sisters, Helen Wojciekowski and Betty Hudak, both of Dunmore.

Katherine T. Chambers, 76, H. Chambers Co. chairwoman

Katherine T. Chambers. chairwoman of the board of the architecture and interior design firm H. Chambers Co. in Baltimore, died Aug. 8 of brain cancer at the Hospice of Washington. Her death came a day before she would have turned 77.

Mrs. Chambers, known as Kit, was born in Baltimore and attended Mount Saint Agnes elementary school, high school and college.

After working as a writer and producer for WBAL radio and television, she moved to the Bahamas about 20 years ago, where she served as president of H. Chambers' subsidiary interior design company, House & Garden Ltd.

Her husband, J. H. Leroy Chambers Jr., died in August 1994.

She is survived by two sons, Daniel William Leubecker III of Alexandria, Va., and Stephen Tyson Leubecker of Chevy Chase; four stepsons, Howard Chambers of Baltimore, J. H. L. Chambers III of Charlotte, N.C., Dr. Theodore Chambers of Vienna, Va., and Gary Blose of Baltimore; a stepdaughter, Linda Blose of Baltimore; two grandchildren and 11 step-grandchildren. A memorial service will be held in the fall in Lyford Cay, the Bahamas.

Herbert W. Spath, 79, bank executive, veteran

Herbert W. Spath, a World War II veteran and former president of the Maryland League of Savings and Loan Associations, died of pneumonia Monday at Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace. He was 79.

Drafted into the U.S. Navy in 1944, Mr. Spath arrived in Nagasaki on the first cargo ship to land there after the atomic bomb was dropped on the city. He also was 1986 PHOTO part of Task Force 31 of the Tokyo Bay Occupation Force, which participated in the initial landing and occupation of the Tokyo Bay area. He was honorably discharged in June 1946. Born in Baltimore, Mr. Spath earned an accounting degree from the Baltimore College of Commerce, now the University of Baltimore. He retired as executive vice president of Heritage Savings Bank in Lutherville in 1985, but remained on its Board of Directors until his death. For 17 years, he also served on the board of directors of the German Children's Home (now the Children's Home) in Catonsville.

In 1987, Mr. Spath bought a motor home, and, with his wife, toured the United States and Canada until his health failed.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Mildred D. Spath of Kingsville, Md.; daughter Sherye Lynn Sedlak, son-in-law Stephen J. Sedlak and granddaughter Samantha Lynn Sedlak, all of Schaumburg, Ill.; and a sister, Ester Robbins of Chula Vista, Calif.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.