Man injured in New Windsor apartment fire

August 11, 1999

A New Windsor man was treated for smoke inhalation after a neighbor discovered a chair on fire in a back room of a three-story apartment building yesterday morning, according to the state fire marshal.

Fifteen firefighters from volunteer companies in New Windsor, Union Bridge and Westminster took about 10 minutes to control the blaze, which caused about $1,000 damage to the apartment in the 300 block of Main St. The fire was reported at 10: 33 a.m.

The preliminary cause was listed as careless smoking.

Resident Robert S. Whitson, 50, was treated at Carroll County General Hospital for smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.

Investigators found the building had a working smoke detector.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.