War News.

Highly Important from Gen. McDowell's Column

A Battle At Bull's Run

The Federal Troops Repulsed

Thirty Men Killed and Forty Wounded

Vol. Xlix, -- No. 53. Baltimore, Saturday Morning, July 20, 1861 [price One Cent

First Bull Run/Manassas

August 01, 1999

The war news received yesterday is of stirring importance, and indicates that events of momentous concern will probably transpire in rapid succession. We published yesterday full accounts of the occupation of Fairfax Court House, Fairfax Station and Centreville by Federal troops, some of which subsequently advanced to Bull's Run (within five miles of Manassas Junction,) where they had an engagement and were repulsed with several killed and wounded. The particulars of this engagement reached us yesterday, and shows it to have been more serious than at first supposed. The number killed is placed at 30, and the wounded at 40 on the side of the Federal troops. The loss of the Confederates is not ascertained. We subjoin all the details that have reached us:


The following reached us yesterday morning, through the "Associated Press:"

Engagement with Masked Batteries -- A Sharp Conflict -- The Federal Troops Retire with a Loss of 30 Killed and 40 Wounded -- Another Force Sent to Flank the Enemy.

Centreville, July 18. -- The first engagement of any character in Eastern Virginia during this campaign took place at Bull's Run, four miles sooth of Centreville, this afternoon.

Gen. Tyler's division encamped last night a few miles east of Centreville and this morning proceeded towards that point. Centreville was passed in safety without opposition, and the troops turned from the Little River turnpike road to the Manassas road. On their way along this road information was received that a masked battery was on the left of the road ahead, and Col. Richardson, in command of the fourth brigade, was ordered to reconnoiter, while the remainder of the division remained in Centreville.

Col. Richardson accordingly proceeded with three companies of the Massachusetts First regiment, being the "Kelsey County Fusileers" and "National Guards." They passed across an open ravine and again entered the road, which was densely surrounded by woods, when they were received by a raking fire from the left, killing a number of the advance.

They, however, gallantly sustained their position, and covered the retreat of a brass cannon of Sherman's battery, the horses having been completely disabled by the fire, until they were relieved by the Michigan Second and New York Twelfth, when they fell back. The Federal forces then took up a position on the top of a hill. Two rifled guns were planted in front, supported by Capt. Brackett's company B, second cavalry, with a line of infantry composed of the Michigan Second and New York Twelfth, some distance in the rear. A steady fire was kept up by both sides in this position.

The rebels had two batteries of eight pieces in a position commanding the road. They served their guns well, except that they fired sometimes too high, but they were gallantly faced by our troops. They did not reply to our regular fire for half an hour, during which time they were receiving large reinforcements.

In the meantime, Col. Richardson's brigade reconnoitered the woods. Whilst we were again thus advancing we were met with a raking fire. Our guns were quickly put in position, and poured grape and canister among the enemy until the supply was exhausted. These guns were commanded by Capt. Ayres. Gen. Tyler commanded in person and acted gallantly. Capt. Ayres, of the Artillery, lost one man killed and three wounded, but several of his pieces were disabled. The New York 12th suffered next to the Massachusetts 1st. Among the killed are Lieut. Smith, of company G, Massachusetts 1st; Edwin Field and Sergeant Forst, of the Boston Fusileers.

Lieutenant Firm, of Brackett's cavalry, is among the wounded; also Oliver E. Simpson, of the Massachusetts First, and Chaplain Lancy, of the Connecticut. The total loss on our side is estimated at 30 killed and 40 wounded.

At half-past 4 o'clock, Gen. Tyler ordered the troops to retire, it being necessary to relieve Captain Brackett's cavalry, which had done the most effective service. The day was exceedingly hot, and the horses thirsting for water, which could only be obtained at Centreville.

Only about one thousand of our forces were at any one time engaged, whilst the Confederate forces are estimated at four thousand. The loss of the enemy is not ascertained, but must have been considerable.

Colonel Wilcox's division, including the Zouaves, moves from Fairfax station tonight to flank the enemy, and the battery will undoubtedly be taken to-morrow. This battery is thought to be one of a line of batteries from Accotink Creek to Manassas.

In addition to the killed mentioned above, as far as ascertained there were two privates of the 60th New York Regiment. Our troops did not retreat, but only retired to make a more effectual attack on the enemy's position.

Another Account of the Battle.

The Washington Star has an account of the engagement by a correspondent, from which we extract the following:

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.