In Baltimore CityBrawl spreads from ship to Inner Harbor...

Regional Digest

August 01, 1999

In Baltimore City

Brawl spreads from ship to Inner Harbor walkway

When more than 60 people attending a crab feast aboard the party liner Bay Lady began fighting last night, police from several city districts rushed to the Inner Harbor, police said.

More than 400 people were on the boat, docked near the Light Street Pavilion, when a woman was struck on the head shortly before 10 p.m., officers said. That incident sparked a disturbance that spilled onto the harbor walkway.

Officers quickly brought the disturbance -- which police called a "drunken party that got out of hand" -- under control. They arrested one man.

A Philadelphia-based travel group, David Tours, rented the boat last night from Harbor Cruises, which operates two Inner Harbor party liners.

The woman who was struck declined medical treatment, police said.

Police arrest man wanted on drug charges at city jail

One thing to leave home when you go to police headquarters -- heroin.

Baltimore police officers who had just arrested 39 other suspects accused of dealing drugs at two clubs on The Block early yesterday paged a man to ask that he come to headquarters to give his girlfriend, a dancer, a ride home, according to Sgt. Craig Gentile.

Anthony Hudson, 32, of the 1600 block of Darley Ave. was arrested on warrants based on alleged sales of cocaine and marijuana to undercover officers earlier this year. Gentile said police found what they suspect is heroin in Hudson's pockets when he was searched yesterday.

He's being held in lieu of $750,000 bail on drug distribution charges at the city's central booking facility.

Unidentified man found dead in West Baltimore

BALTIMORE -- A man was found dead, face down with multiple stab wounds in the chest, at 6: 10 a.m. yesterday at Gwynns Falls Parkway and Garrison Boulevard, city police said.

The body was removed for an autopsy, and police are hoping to learn an identity from fingerprints.

In Cecil County

Elkton motorist, 32, dies after train hits truck

ELK MILLS -- A 32-year-old Elkton man, whose eastbound pickup truck hit a railroad crossing sign and spun onto the train tracks just as a CSX freight train approached late Friday, died before rescuers could reach him, according to Maryland State Police.

Train engineer Jeffrey Scott Masco told rescuers he could see driver Edwin Harvey Leedom looking up at the train before it hit his 1999 GMC truck head-on. He had no chance to get out. The train dragged the truck about a half-mile from the impact at the Elk Mills Road crossing, state police Cpl. Kevin Desmond said. The truck ended up wedged on a railroad bridge 85 feet over Big Elk Creek.

Rescuers could see Leedom alive in the wreckage, but three hours after the 11: 35 p.m. crash, when they finally reached him, he was dead. A crane had to be brought in to lift the truck free.

Police could not explain why Leedom had hit the warning flasher. The crossing has lights to warn of approaching trains, but no barriers.

State police arrest 8 at sobriety checkpoint

ELKTON -- Maryland State Police made eight arrests in four hours at a sobriety checkpoint on eastbound Route 40 Friday night into early yesterday, they said.

Of 302 vehicles that passed through the checkpoint from 11 p.m. Friday to 3 a.m. yesterday, police arrested four drivers for drunk driving, three for alleged drug possession, and one for driving with a suspended license.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.