3 men accused of attacking a Sykesville police officer

Arrests follow dispute at Westminster restaurant

July 27, 1999|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,SUN STAFF

Three Hampstead men were arrested Sunday on assault charges and accused of attacking an off-duty Sykesville police officer and his friends at a fast-food restaurant in Westminster, police said.

In charging documents, Westminster police said they responded to a report of a fight at Taco Bell in the 600 block of Baltimore Blvd. about 1: 38 a.m.

Capt. Dean Brewer, a police spokesman, said the incident apparently began earlier at Tully's, a restaurant and bar in Cranberry Mall, where a man bumped a woman in a group with Sykesville Officer Shawn D. Kilgore.

The woman said she received no apology and later, at the nearby Taco Bell, saw the man who had bumped her, Brewer said. Words were exchanged, and the three men approached the table where Kilgore and his friends were sitting. That led to more heated words between the men and Kilgore's group, and the officer was punched, thrown to the floor and kicked, Brewer said.

Court documents showed that arriving officers stopped a speeding car seen leaving the scene and detained three occupants until the officers spoke to Kilgore and a half-dozen witnesses.

Kilgore was treated at Carroll County General Hospital and released, a hospital spokeswoman said. No one else was injured, police said.

"Apparently the officer tried to walk away from the fight," Brewer said. "At some point, he apparently identified himself as a police officer, but he was beaten and kicked."

Arrested were Clinton E. Shamer, 22, of the 2600 block of Hoffman Mill Road; Charles L. Maenka, 21, of the 4600 block of Warpath Drive; and James S. Long, 22, a Warpath Drive neighbor of Maenka's.

Court records showed Shamer was freed on $5,000 bail after he was charged on one count of first-degree assault, four counts of second-degree assault, and possession of a dangerous and deadly weapon. Maenka was released on $2,500 bail after he was charged with first- and second-degree assault, and Long was freed on $5,000 bail after he was charged with first- and second-degree assault and resisting arrest.

The deadly weapon referred to in the charges is a Fiberglass ax handle, which is 27 inches long; it was recovered from the vehicle in which the men were seen leaving the area, Brewer said. It has a rubber handle, is wrapped with electrical tape, and a homemade leather wrist strap is attached, he said.

Those alleged to have been attacked or threatened during the altercation were two men, three women and an employee of Taco Bell, who tried to intervene, court documents said.

Pub Date: 7/27/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.