Marshal calls fire at Charles County storage building arson

July 25, 1999|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

Arson is believed responsible for a three-alarm fire that caused part of a Charles County Board of Education storage building to collapse yesterday morning, the state fire marshal said.

The one-story block building, the former Pomonkey Elementary School on Metropolitan Church Road in Bryans Road, housed school furniture and supplies.

Damage is estimated at $300,000. There were no injuries.

The fire began about 3: 30 a.m. Eighty-five firefighters from 12 departments in Charles and Prince George's counties, including firefighters from Andrews Air Force Base, spent two hours bringing it under control.

It was discovered by a volunteer firefighter who saw smoke pouring from the building.

After an investigation, the state fire marshal in Prince Frederick determined the fire was intentionally set in the southwest wing of the building.

The Arson Control Association of Maryland has set a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible for the fire. Anyone with information is asked to call 1-800-492-7529.

Pub Date: 7/25/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.