Woman charged with attempted murder

Youths found unconscious in and near Harford home

July 23, 1999|By Lisa Respers | Lisa Respers,SUN STAFF

A 25-year-old Joppatowne woman was charged yesterday with attempted murder after three teen-agers apparently overdosed on prescription drugs, the Harford County Sheriff's Office said.

Deputies found more than 200 prescription drugs, including muscle relaxants and morphine, inside a Joppatowne townhouse where two of the teens were found, said Detective Tom Walsh, a spokesman for the Harford County Sheriff's Office. The other teen was found outside the dwelling.

A boy who went into cardiac arrest was flown to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he was in critical condition, Walsh said.

Another boy was in fair condition in the intensive care unit at Fallston General Hospital, and a girl was in critical condition at Johns Hopkins Children's Center in Baltimore.

Officials declined to release the names of the victims, ages 14 through 16, because they are juveniles. Two of the teens are from Joppatowne and the third is from North East in Cecil County, Walsh said.

Walsh said police responded to a call about 2: 30 a.m. yesterday for a male passed out in a field behind a townhouse on Adair Court. When officers arrived, they were told by the callers that a woman who lives in the townhouse had given the teen-age boy an overdose and that she had told them to dump the boy outside, Walsh said.

"They said there were two more people who were at the house who were also unconscious and that they had also been given drugs," Walsh said. "Officers went to the address and found another juvenile male and female unconscious."

Walsh said witnesses told police that a group of teen-agers was at the house early yesterday morning when three of the teens became semiconscious after they were given prescription medicines.

One teen-ager told investigators that the female resident gave him a handful of pills for the three teen-agers "and said put these pills in their hands and put their hands up to their mouths so that these pills go down their throats."

Walsh said the teen-ager told investigators he initially refused to feed the others the pills but did so after the woman allegedly threatened to have him harmed.

Police said witnesses told them the woman might have been angry over a confrontation with one of the victims.

Neighbors said yesterday that the corner townhouse was often a hangout for children as young as 11 who could be seen going in and out.

Felicia Marie Chapman, 25, of the 300 block of Adair Court was charged with three counts of attempted murder, reckless endangerment and possession of controlled dangerous substances with intent to distribute, said Walsh.

Chapman was being held without bail at the county Detention Center, pending a bail review hearing today in District Court in Bel Air, Walsh said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.