Darrell Wade Fletcher, 72, ran water taxi in...

July 15, 1999

Darrell Wade Fletcher, 72, ran water taxi in Annapolis

Darrell Wade Fletcher, a retired mechanical engineer who restored wooden boats, died of a heart ailment Friday at the Anne Arundel Medical Center. He was 72.

Known as Reds or Fletch, the Severna Park resident was formerly a vice president for Dravo Corp. in Pittsburgh -- a job that took him around the world to bring public utilities to developing countries 30 years ago.

He later designed and built coal preparation plants in Central Pennsylvania.

Born in Washington, he earned a mechanical engineering degree from George Washington University in 1952. During World War II he served in the Navy and was stationed at Patuxent River Naval Air Station.

He later received a patent for a submarine periscope optical device.

His memberships included the American Legion, Alcoholics Anonymous and the George Washington University Alumni Association.

He spent his free time restoring wooden boats and, in the early 1980s, he started an Annapolis water taxi called the Buck Boat. The fare was a dollar to ride around the Annapolis harbor and surrounding creeks. He also served as president of the Olde Severna Park Improvement Association.

A memorial service will be held at noon July 30 at Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church in Severna Park, where he was a member.

Mr. Fletcher's wife of 40 years, the former Eva Bankert, died in 1981.

He is survived by a son, Keith T. Fletcher of West Palm Beach, Fla., and two daughters, Cynthia Fletcher-Holden of Eastport and Jaclynn Lee Fletcher of Annapolis.

Thomas E. Sibila, 73, carpenter, union leader

Thomas E. Sibila, a decorated World War II veteran who helped start the Carpenters Union local in Aberdeen and retired as its president, died of respiratory disease yesterday at Union Memorial Hospital. He was 73 and lived in Edgewood.

A native of Long Island, N.Y., Mr. Sibila began his career as a carpenter there in 1947 after his wartime service in the Army, in which he won the Bronze Star in combat in Central Europe.

Mr. Sibila transferred to Baltimore in 1963, and later helped start Local 1354 in Aberdeen. The local grew from a membership of nine to more than 300 by the time he retired as its president and business agent in 1986, according to his wife of 33 years, the former Eileen Decker. He was also a member of the Aberdeen post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Bruzdzinski Funeral Home, 1407 Old Eastern Ave. in Essex.

Surviving, in addition to his wife, are three of his five sons, Michael Sibila of Williston, Fla., and Richard and Paul Sibila of Edgewood; a daughter, Miriam Lee of Davie, Fla.; three stepsons, Lloyd Fultz of Essex, Robert Fultz of Moorefield, W. Va., and Alan Fultz of Edgewood; four stepdaughters, Pat Greisz of Pikesville, Carol Sexton of Fort Pierce, Fla., Eileen Hose of Petersburg, W. Va., and Sandra Hood of Woodbine; 18 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Loranzer Bethea, 73, laundromat operator

Loranzer Bethea, a West Baltimore laundromat owner, died of cancer July 8 at his home on West Lanvale Street. He was 73.

Born and raised in Murrells Inlet, S.C., he drove a taxi there and was also employed at the Ocean Forest Hotel in Myrtle Beach. During World War II, he served in the Marine Corps.

After moving to Baltimore in the late 1940s, he was a laborer at Bethlehem Steel's Sparrows Point plant. He retired in 1986 and purchased a business, Our Laundromat, at Monroe and Baker streets, which he operated until his death.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at New Psalmist Baptist Church, 4501 1/2 Old Frederick Road, where he was a member.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, the former Maggie Holmes; two sons, Wilson Holmes and Michael Bethea, both of Baltimore; five daughters, Ruth Bethea of Randallstown, Naomi Bethea of Woodlawn, and Rowena B. Cook, Angela B. Scott and Donna B. Clark, all of Baltimore; two brothers, Willie Brown Jr. and Jacob Collins, both of Baltimore; two sisters, Sara E. Lewis of Baltimore and Ella Carr of Woodlawn; eight grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

Stephen Ay Bollman Sr., 55, manager, sportsman, pilot

Stephen Ay Bollman Sr., an avid sportsman who took up flying after his wife insisted he stop racing powerboats, died of colon cancer Monday at his Chestertown home. He was 55.

Born in Baltimore and raised in Annapolis, Mr. Bollman attended the Charlotte Hall school in Southern Maryland.

He worked for a decade as manager of a residential and commercial alarm installation company in Pikesville before the couple moved to Chestertown. He was general manager for Rent All Mart until illness forced his retirement last year.

Mr. Bollman's wife of 22 years, the former Marjorie Magers, said he began racing powerboats at 19 and was once ranked second in the nation among superstock powerboat racers.

"I made him finally stop because I wanted a father for my children," Mrs. Bollman said with a chuckle. "He was a very dare-devilish type of person -- he loved speed."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.