Clifton Mansion Tower

MARYLAND SCENE

June 27, 1999|By Sloane Brown

It was one big, happy, family that turned out for the dedication of the Clifton Mansion Tower in Baltimore's Clifton Park. About 40 of the 200 people present were descendants of Johns Hopkins, who bought the Clifton Mansion in 1836 and used it as his summer home.

The tower was dedicated to Samuel Hopkins, Johns Hopkins' great-great-nephew, past president and member of the Baltimore City Board of Recreation and Parks, and current board member of Civic Works. Both organizations sponsored the ceremony and reception.

Among those in attendance: Dana Stein, Civic Works' executive director; Stephanie Es-worth, administrative supervisor for Baltimore Recreation and Parks; Jim Clark, Anne Hopkins, Courtney McKeldin and Lawrence White, collateral descendants of Johns Hopkins; and Chris Wilson, mansion restoration construction coordinator.

Pub Date: 06/27/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.