2 more arrested in beating case

Teen-ager, man charged with attempted murder in Westminster attack

June 24, 1999|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,SUN STAFF

Two more suspects -- believed to be the last of six -- were arrested yesterday in connection with the beating of two men with baseball bats in Westminster last week, authorities said.

A 15-year-old Westminster boy was charged as a juvenile on 11 counts, including two counts each of attempted second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, use of a deadly weapon with intent to injure and one count of malicious destruction of property, Westminster police said.

The boy, who was not named because of his age, was turned over to juvenile authorities to be held at the Charles P. Hickey School in Baltimore, pending further action by juvenile authorities, said Capt. Randy Barnes, a Westminster police spokesman.

Robert L. Bowen Jr., 48, of the 7600 block of Cedar Road in Dundalk was charged with the same counts as the juvenile, court records show. He was ordered held on $50,000 bail at the Carroll County Detention Center.

The attack allegedly occurred at 12: 20 a.m. June 13 at a home in the first block of Winchester Ave., police said. A group of men were looking for a man named Tony and, when Anthony "Tony" Vicarini opened the door, a fight ensued, police said.

Christopher Steinberg, the boyfriend of Vicarini's mother, told police he was asleep when he heard the ruckus and went to help Vicarini. He told police he too was struck with a bat before the front porch railing collapsed during the fight, spilling him and Vicarini onto the sidewalk.

Vicarini and Steinberg were treated for multiple lacerations and bruises at Carroll County General Hospital, police said.

According to court documents, Vicarini knew one of the suspects.

Two bloodied bats were recovered from a trash container outside a Westminster apartment complex on Charles Street, according to court documents.

Officers arrested Blair Lee Brown, 19, of the 200 block of S. Court St. in Westminster on June 14. He was charged with two counts each of first- and second-degree assault, using a dangerous and deadly weapon, reckless endangerment and one count of malicious destruction of property.

Later that day, Cedric A. Jones Jr., 19, of the 1700 block of Ruxton Ave. in West Baltimore was arrested on the same charges plus two counts of second-degree attempted murder.

On June 17, court records show, police arrested two men living in the first block of Charles St. in Westminster, Stanford A. Luby, 37, and Louis D. Resto, 18. They were charged with the same counts as Jones.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.