Arson has been blamed for a fire yesterday that heavily damaged two restroom doors, a portable toilet and a large metal trash container at the New Windsor carnival grounds, authorities said.
No one was injured, and damage was estimated at $1,000. Ten volunteer firefighters extinguished the blaze within five minutes, state fire marshals said.
The fire was discovered at 5: 06 a.m. when a passer-by on his way to work saw flames coming from the trash container on the carnival grounds at Atlee Avenue and Water Street, fire marshals said.
Investigators determined that the restroom doors had been intentionally set afire and reported finding evidence that illegal fireworks had been discharged, authorities said.
Anyone with information about the incident may call state fire marshals at 410-875-5450.
Pub Date: 6/17/99