Man waives hearing in Pimlico case

He's accused of standing on track during race

June 16, 1999|By Amy Oakes | Amy Oakes,SUN STAFF

A 22-year-old Harford County man accused of walking onto the track at Pimlico Race Course before last month's Preakness and standing in front of eight racing horses waived his right to a preliminary hearing yesterday in Baltimore District Court.

An arraignment for Lee Chang Ferrell of Bel Air will be scheduled within 60 days, said Francine Stokes, a spokeswoman for the state's attorney's office.

Ferrell, who remained free on $2,500 bail, declined to comment after the hearing. His lawyer, Frederic Heyman, said, "At this point, we haven't made any decision on what direction to take" in Ferrell's defense.

Heyman has said Ferrell doesn't remember the incident and suffers from manic depression.

Ferrell was accompanied to the hearing by his parents, James and Nancy Ferrell. "The parents are very supportive of Lee and continue to stand behind him," Heyman said.

Ferrell is accused of leaving the Pimlico infield, climbing a fence and walking onto the track about 2: 55 p.m. during the seventh of 12 races on May 15, the day of the Preakness. As the horses raced down the track, Ferrell allegedly positioned himself in Artax's path and punched at the horse, grazing the jockey's leg, police said.

Ferrell was charged with first- and second-degree assault, and six misdemeanors: reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct, two counts of resisting arrest, being intoxicated and trespassing.

Pub Date: 6/16/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.