Two officers are charged with assault

Accused of handcuffing, taunting Sparks woman

June 15, 1999|By Dail Willis | Dail Willis,SUN STAFF

Two Baltimore County police officers accused of handcuffing a woman and making sexually suggestive remarks to her have been relieved of their duties and charged with second-degree assault and false imprisonment, police said yesterday.

The officers, who have worked as county police since the mid-1980s, have been placed on administrative duty and their guns and badges taken until a criminal and internal investigation is complete, said police spokesman Bill Toohey.

Rodger B. Clise, 36, and Thomas M. Siwek, 43, both assigned to the Cockeysville Precinct, were working a special patrol May 27 around Prettyboy Reservoir, police said.

According to Toohey and the charging documents, the two officers walked into the feed store The Mill of Hereford in the 17000 block of York Road about 5 p.m.

As they entered, store clerk Jonathan Jennings said, "Uh, oh" and then said to the officers, "Here you are, guys. This is the one I triggered the alarm for," indicating customer Brigid M. Boyce. Jennings was joking, police said, because no alarm had been triggered.

According to charging documents, Siwek approached Boyce, 21, of the 100 block of English Run Road in Sparks, and said, "Now you have to assume the position, but I'm sure you've heard that before."

Siwek put Boyce's hands behind her and handcuffed her, charging documents said. Then the two officers and Jennings made several jokes about Boyce enjoying the handcuffs and ways to make them more comfortable, such as using fur-lined ones, according to the charging documents.

Then Siwek removed the handcuffs from Boyce.

Toohey said the alleged incident came to light after Boyce told her family and friends. He said that one friend, whose name has not been released by police, called a Cockeysville Precinct lieutenant and told him, and an internal investigation was begun. Both charges are misdemeanors, he said.

Once the criminal charges are resolved, an internal investigation will determine the officers' future with the department, he said.

Neither Boyce nor Jennings returned phone calls yesterday. Neither officer could be contacted.

Pub Date: 6/15/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.