Unsuccessful candidate is upset over Taneytown council choice

May 26, 1999|By Anne Haddad | Anne Haddad,SUN STAFF

An unsuccessful candidate in the recent Taneytown City Council election chastised the panel last night for passing him over a week later when it was time to fill a council vacancy.

The council heard last night from Bobby Wales Sr., who said it should have appointed him to fill the seat that became vacant seconds after the May 3 election: Former council member Henry C. Heine was elected mayor.

Wales was 31 votes shy of being elected May 3 and finished last in a three-way race. A week later, the council swore in re-elected incumbent Brian E. Long and newly elected Darryl G. Hale.

Heine submitted to the council three names, including Wales, from which to choose for Heine's former seat.

The council followed a procedure set in previous years: Each council member ranked the three people on paper with a score of 1 to 3, with 1 being their favorite. Once the ballots are counted, the candidate with the lowest score wins.

It turned out to be Jacquelyn Boisvert, a former councilwoman and Taneytown businesswoman. She was the only one of the three at the meeting and told the council of her interest before the vote.

Council members said her presence influenced their decision.

Wales had been injured a day earlier and wasn't able to attend.

"I took the time to run, I got the votes," Wales said. "There was a certain number of people who wanted me in there. They just go and choose someone who didn't even run."

Former Mayor W. Robert Flickinger also scolded the council and the mayor, saying the council should have considered no one other than Wales.

"That's worse than what happened in New Windsor," said Flickinger.

The New Windsor town election this month resulted in a tie between incumbent Paul Garver and challenger Samuel Pierce.

The council chose to appoint one of the men -- Garver -- rather than hold a runoff election. Lawyers advised the town that appointing was its most legal course.

In other business, the council agreed to keep a new restricted business zone outside the eastern border of the town's historic district. The restricted business zone will go from Fairground Avenue to Merwyn Street, on the south side of East Baltimore Street.

Pub Date: 5/26/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.