Georgetown shakes Duke, crashes party

17-14 win gives Hoyas first Final Four berth

May 23, 1999|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,SUN STAFF

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Georgetown opted for cartwheels instead of handshakes.

One week after a lethargic effort in the first round, the No. 5 Hoyas rode a five-goal surge over a seven-minute stretch of the fourth quarter to a 17-14 NCAA quarterfinals win over No. 4 Duke yesterday at Hofstra Stadium.

The Hoyas (13-2), who showed little emotion following their opening-round victory over Notre Dame, whooped it up in celebration of the first Final Four berth in their 30-year lacrosse history. They'll play the winner of today's Loyola-Syracuse game in Saturday's semifinals.

"There's a bridge between the quarterfinal and Final Four," Georgetown goalkeeper Brian Hole said. "I guess we had a little happy feet while crossing that bridge."

The Hoyas' attack of Greg McCavera, Andy Flick and Scott Urick combined for nine goals and four assists as Georgetown recorded its first-ever win over the Blue Devils after losing 12 straight. Duke (13-3) had held 11 of its previous 12 opponents to single digits.

"We had no magic today. We got whipped," Duke coach Mike Pressler said. "I didn't think there was a team out there that could score 17 goals on us."

The Blue Devils opened the fourth period (2: 37) with a Nick Hartofilis goal to narrow their deficit to 12-10. But Urick converted a feed from McCavera 14 seconds later to begin a 5-0, game-changing run.

Flick expanded the Hoyas' advantage to 15-10 just 4 1/2 minutes into the fourth, when he assisted Mike Henehan on an extra-man goal and then scored unassisted.

Duke's frustration just increased with its deficit. The Blue Devils' Jared Frood came within an inch of slowing down the spurt, but his shot hit the pipe instead of the back of the net.

Georgetown's margin ballooned to 17-10 with 4: 15 left after goals by Tyler Gamble and Greg McCavera. The Blue Devils shaved away some embarrassment by scoring four times in the final three minutes.

"We were getting good shots," Flick said. "We were just concentrating on putting shots on the cage and making him make the saves.

"I can't believe we're here [in the Final Four). We're all very excited."

Georgetown neutralized the Blue Devils' Scott Bross, the country's best faceoff specialist, winning 18 of 34 draws and controlled possession with a 46-41 ground-ball edge.

The Hoyas also consistently beat a Duke defense that was reluctant to slide, scoring 11 unassisted goals.

"We're a great faceoff team and a great ground-ball team," Pressler said. "We didn't display any of that today."

Although it's the first Final Four trip for Georgetown, Urick coached Hobart to the Division III national semifinals from 1980 to 1989, winning 10 consecutive national titles.

But it's been a long road for the Hoyas, who received their first NCAA tournament bid just three years ago.

"That's a long time ago," Urick said. "You're talking ancient history. We're kind of in virgin territory here, but we can get used to it."

Duke 3 4 2 5 -- 14

Georgetown 4 4 4 5 -- 17

Goals: D--Dretler 3, Keaney 2, Frood 2, Hartofills 2, Diggs, Patchak, Kakel, Duman, O'Donnell; G--McCavera 4, Henehan 3, Gamble 3, Flick 3, Urick 2, Wagner, Dusseau. Assists: D--Frood 2, Shubert, Patchak, Diggs; G--Flick 2, McCavera 2, Gamble, Henehan. Saves: D--Breslin 14; G--Hole 17.

Pub Date: 5/23/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.