Towson swamps Rams, ties tourney mark

Six goals by Dolan lead Generals to title rematch

Class 1A-2A girls lacrosse

May 23, 1999|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

All season, No. 12-ranked Towson has been anticipating another state final showdown with Mount Hebron, but no one could accuse the Generals of looking past upstart Edgewood yesterday.

Towson overcame a strong early performance by Rams goalie Jen Mitchell and scored the last 15 goals of the game en route to a 19-4 victory in a Class 1A-2A state semifinal at UMBC Stadium.

Katie Dolan scored six goals and had an assist, leaving her two shy of the Class 1A-2A tournament records for goals and points in a single game.

In routing the Rams (9-7), the Generals (14-3) tied the tournament Class 1A-2A record for most goals in one game by a team. Mount Hebron set the record in 1995.

The Generals, who won the title in 1997, will meet No. 1 Mount Hebron (19-0) for the state title at 8 p.m. Wednesday -- a rematch of last year's final, won by the Vikings, 9-7.

"Mount Hebron's been our goal all season," said Dolan. "No one thought we could come back, because we lost a lot of people last year. We've got a real young team, but we're psyched and ready to get back there."

Yesterday, the Generals fell behind early by 2-1 and 3-2.

But with the score 4-4 after Julie DiCarlo's goal for Edgewood and 3: 47 left in the first half, Dolan scored two of her four first-half goals and Abbe Carr put in another for the Generals.

"We just realized this is it -- this is our game," said Dolan, who came within two of the tourney record for goals in a game.

Dolan, who now has 69 goals and 17 assists, picked up her game, in part to offset the loss of All-Metro midfielder Lindsay Buchanan (61 goals, 36 assists). Buchanan is out for the season with a torn anterior-cruciate ligament in her left knee, which she initially thought she had sprained during Towson's region final.

The Generals did not let up after the break, scoring seven goals in just over four minutes for a 14-4 lead with 20: 58 left. They went on to score 12 second-half goals, outshooting the 9-7 Rams 22-8 in that half and 42-18 in the game.

Early on, Mitchell's saves and a solid transition game kept the Rams pushing for an upset. Edgewood already had scored an upset in the regional tournament, knocking off North Harford, 18-15, in the regional final behind 27 saves by Mitchell.

"It was a lack of connection and lack of communication on defense," said Rams senior Terri Staab about the game's turning point late in the first half. "We broke down a little bit, and a couple [Generals] got open."

Trying to cover Towson's quick shooters, the Rams fouled a lot in the first half's last 18 minutes, giving Towson eight free-position attempts. The Generals converted three of them in a 5-1 run to end the second half.

The Generals never let up, trying to build momentum to carry into Wednesday's game with Mount Hebron. Michelle Clarke had three goals and Carr, Erin Rowse, Jill Wienecke and Whitney Mershon scored two goals each.

Pub Date: 5/23/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.