Tyson granted parole by Maryland

He could be out June 4 if Indiana approves

May 22, 1999|By Candus Thomson and Jennifer Sullivan | Candus Thomson and Jennifer Sullivan,SUN STAFF

The Maryland Parole Commission, meeting in Baltimore, granted boxer Mike Tyson parole yesterday. As long as Indiana authorities, for whom the heavyweight champion is also serving time, agree, Tyson's release should occur by June 4.

In a news release, the parole commission said it based some of the decision on "the expressed intent of the victims" that Tyson "should not have been incarcerated" for attacking two motorists in Gaithersburg last summer.

In a 5-1 vote, the parole board decided Tyson will have a two-year supervised release -- he will have to report twice a month to parole officials who could revoke parole and return the boxer to jail.

Tyson also will undergo psychiatric treatment, including anger management sessions, and fulfill 200 hours of community service at either the Charles Mooney Academy of Boxing in Rockville or the St. Aloysius/Father McKenna Center of Washington.

Montgomery County state's attorney Douglas Gansler said he was not surprised by the decision, which he called fair.

"He's being treated like anyone else, and that's all we ever wanted," Gansler said.

The prosecutor noted that Tyson "is on the hook for two years" and warned "a violation in any state, and he will be held accountable here."

"Hopefully, we will be able to stay out of the criminal justice system," Gansler said.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Leonard A. Sipes Jr. said he doubts Indiana officials will disagree with the decision because they've "expressed no wish to incarcerate Mr. Tyson."

Eric Seleznow, spokesman for the Montgomery County jail, said authorities were making plans to move Tyson to the next phase of his sentence -- a local pre-release program -- when the decision was issued.

"Our plan is superseded. As far as we are concerned, we will release him when the paperwork from the state arrives," he said.

The boxer was handed a 10-year sentence for rape and two counts of criminal deviate conduct in Indiana, but this was suspended after three years. He was serving four years of probation when the three-car fender bender occurred.

Tyson's wife, Monica, was behind the wheel of their Mercedes when their car was nudged from behind. According to prosecutor Carol Crawford, Tyson got out of his car and punched Abmielec Saucedo, 62, in the face and kicked Richard Hardick, 50, in the groin.

Since Tyson began his sentence Feb. 5, there have been reports that he has been working toward his high school equivalency diploma and has become a role model for younger inmates.

Tyson's adviser, Shelly Finkel, said last month that Tyson would be ready to fight in Las Vegas in August.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.