Curley outlasts Mt. St. Joe to force final showdown

Friars' 4-run seventh stops Gaels, 5-1

finale is today

MIAA A Conference baseball

May 21, 1999|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

In a game of missed opportunities for both sides, Archbishop Curley wasn't about to let its best one get away.

The Friars, foiled three other times after getting runners to third, broke a tie with four runs in the seventh en route to a 5-1 win over Mount St. Joseph last night in a do-or-die game at the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference championships at Joe Cannon Stadium in Harmans.

"I had to come through," said Adam Schisler, whose two-run single broke a 1-1 tie and gave his team a lead it wouldn't relinquish. "I was just waiting for my pitch."

The victory forces a winner-take-all final between the same two teams this afternoon at 4 at Joe Cannon.

For Mount St. Joe coach Dave Norton, the need for another game is no big surprise.

"All four teams here have been so close in talent, and all the games so far have been close," said Norton, whose team had been unbeaten in the double-elimination tournament. "To expect to come out and win it in three straight would've been unrealistic."

Tied at 1-1, Curley (22-9) loaded the bases on consecutive singles by Andy Welling, Stephen Althoff and Brian Salamone. Schisler then delivered with a two-run single to center and, two batters later, a pair of runs scored on a slow-developing double play.

Pitcher Doug Lamkin took care of the rest, going the distance and allowing a run on five hits.

"This is a veteran ballclub with 14 seniors, and you win with seniors," said Curley coach Al Frank, whose team last won an MIAA title in 1983. "Hopefully we can do it one more time."

Mount St. Joe (20-7) had a prime chance to go up early, loading the bases with one out in the first on singles by Paul Kem and Allen Strick, and a walk by Joe Hargadon.

Lamkin, however, got out of the jam, getting Ben Maggio to ground into a force out at the plate ad Stevie Brown to fly out to center, ending the inning.

The Friars then took 1-0 lead in the second when Vincent Bush singled, stole second, went to third on a fly out and scored on Stephen Althoff's RBI single.

The Gaels evened the score in the third when Paul Kem walked, Allen Strick doubled and Hargadon hit a long shot that was caught on the run at the base of the fence by Bush, allowing the run to score from third.

Curley dodged another bullet in the fifth. St. Joe's Zach Kuehne drew a leadoff walk and stole second. With one out, however, he was thrown out trying to steal third by Chris Kosmicky.

The Gaels then put two more runners on, via a walk and error, before Hargadon flied out to end the threat.

Curley had its chances, as well, leaving runners at third in the first, fifth and sixth innings.

Pub Date: 5/21/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.