From the Army of the Potomac.

A Heavy Fight At Spotsylvania

Union Troops Possess the Place -- Large Number of Wounded.


May 21, 1999

The Washington Star of last evening says:

A messenger got in last night from the army who left Spotsylvania Court House yesterday at twelve o'clock, and came on horseback to Aquia Creek, and thence came up on a gunboat. At twelve o'clock yesterday a heavy fight was going on a Spotsylvania Court House. we held the place at that hour, and Lee gave evidence of being weakened and of falling back. The messenger had an escort of one hundred and fifty cavalry, and guerrillas were frequently encountered on the way, and it is not improbable that many of the escort were captured when returning to the army. Our wounded is reported at 15,000, most of whom are at Fredericksburg, and so thick lying in the streets and upon the pavements, that a cavalry patrol ordered out could not do duty, as it was difficult to pass between the rows of wounded without trampling on them. It is said there are between two thousand and three thousand rebel wounded left on the field there also. The colored troops attached to Gen. Burnside's command have not been in the fight, being held back as a reserve.

A Brisk Fight on Saturday and Sunday -- The Rebels Again Retreat -- They Retreat to North Anna River

Washington, May 10, 2 A.M. --Gen. Meade again moved on the enemy, and had a brisk fight at Todd's Tavern, just north of Po river. By night it was found that the rebel army was retreating on three roads running south, towards Richmond. On Sunday, the rebels attempted to make another stand, but Meade again fell upon them, and dispatches to-night confirm the report that they are retreating still further, to the North Anna river. They had succeeded in getting off most of their own wounded up to Saturday night. o The colored troops were not put into the engagement, but were held as a reserve with Burnside. We have lost but two pieces of artillery altogether. -- Phil. Inquirer.


Fourteen Hours of Fighting -- Desperate Attempt by Lee to Break up Sedgwick's Division -- Heroic Resistance -- Varying Successes, but Final Repulse of the Rebels.

Field of the Battle of the Wilderness, Friday, May 6 -- 11 P.M. -- Fourteen hours of severe fighting to-day, and still nothing decisive. The position this morning was that of last night, substantially. Gen. Sedgwick, with two of his divisions, Ricketts's and Wright's, has fought upon the right; General Hancock, with the four divisions of his corps, viz: Birney's, Carr's, Barlow's and Gibbons's, with Getty's Division of the Sixth corps, has fought upon the left; and General Warren with his full corps and Stephenson's division of the Ninth corps (Burnside's,) has fought in the centre. Burnside's corps has constituted the reserve, and has marched and countermarched incessantly, and gone in by brigades at the centre and on the left. Sedgwick was to advance at five A.M., but Ewell, who commands opposite him, attacked at 4.45. This action on our right was spirited and well fought. At the expiration of an hour the rebels were handsomely borne back, the firing ceased, and each side held the ground they had bivouacked upon. Our loss was severe, and the enemy's could not have been less. This action barely over, and suddenly we heard from the extreme left that peculiar and monotonous swell and volume of sound which tells of large numbers engaged -- so many that single shots and even volleys of long lines are not distinct, but are merged in the mighty noise of a great battle. Hancock was engaged. The details of his two hours' steady struggle I do not know, but I know that he did his work cleanly and completely. Longstreet had joined the rebel right, and this was a second determined attempt to turn our left and a second utter discomfiture. At 11o'clock the enemy press close upon Warren and Sedgwick, and train a number of guns exactly upon the latter's headquarters. A man and three horses were killed within twenty feet of the General, and in the very centre of his grouped staff. Finding the enemy disposed to renew the engagement of the early morning, Sedgwick accepts the challenge, and advances his whole line. The men go in with more dash and hold on more steadily than in the morning.. Ewell is driven back to his second line, where his guns are in position, and there makes a stand. At this juncture, Warren, who connects with Sedgwick's left, is extremely anxious to go in with all his might, but the enemy's position in his front seems too formidable.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.