Falcons, upset, do same to 'Cats

Severna Park wins, 12-8, after coach's suspension for cursing during game

Class 3A-4A boys lacrosse

May 20, 1999|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Arundel coach Clint Gosnell said that Anne Arundel County "has been waiting for Severna Park to really put it together."

Wait no more. The Falcons have arrived.

No. 12-ranked Severna Park upset No. 10 Arundel, 12-8, last night at Steve Carroll Field in Gambrills in the Class 3A-4A East region final.

The win means Severna Park (11-6) will make its first appearance in the state final four at UMBC this weekend.

The Falcons won three consecutive district titles back in 1977 to 1979 under coach Mike Heck. In those days, the district title was the equivalent to the state title.

Oddly enough, second-year coach Mike Bellotte, who has built the Falcons and has them peaking at the right time, had to watch last night's game from the stands.

Severna Park principal Mary Gable suspended Bellotte after school yesterday for one game because of cursing at Monday's 8-3 victory over No. 11 Annapolis (13-4). Bellotte's brothers, Brendan and Chris Bellotte, ran the team last night, and both refused to comment to reporters after the game.

"We played this game for him, because we were mad about that [suspension]," said sophomore attackman Paul Burnett, who led the Falcons with five goals and an assist. "This is the best we've been together as a team the whole season. It was our goal to be the first Severna Park team to win the state championship."

Burnett, junior attackman Jerry Cornett and junior midfielder Paul Gillette paced a high powered transition game last night.

Three of Burnett's goals came in the first half with Gillette (three assists) firing in two of his three goals as the Falcons raced to a 7-2 halftime lead over the Wildcats (16-3).

"We started scoring transition goals near the end of the season, and finally, we started putting the ball behind the net," said Burnett.

Gosnell said he was "impressed, really impressed'" with the Falcons.

"They sputtered all season (8-6 before the playoffs), but here at the end, they really got it together," said the Arundel coach.

"They have great athleticism. Their transition game tonight was excellent, and their shots were right on goal and had Milloy guessing."

Wildcats goalkeeper Matt Milloy, who was coming off a 17-save performance in Monday's 8-5 victory over No. 13 Broadneck (10-6), had nine saves last night because in Gosnell's words he "was guessing wrong most of the time."

Severna Park took a 10-5 lead into the final 10 minutes and coasted to the huge victory. Burnett scored the first goals of the second half, and Dennis Cantwell, Gillette and Mac Chase closed the scoring for the Falcons.

Senior midfielder Henry Hanburger and junior attack Kevin Reinecke combined for seven of the Wildcat goals, and senior attack John Navarro assisted on a trio of goals. Hanburger tallied three of his four goals in the second half.

Queen Anne's 7, No. 14 South River 6: Tom Simpler scored the winning goal with two seconds left, after holding the ball for the final four minutes.

South River held a 5-3 halftime lead, before Queen Anne tied the game early in the third. South River held a one-goal lead in the fourth quarter before Queen Ane scored the final two goals.

Pub Date: 5/20/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.