Ho-hum Hoyas prevail, 14-10

4-0 run to start 2nd half turns back Notre Dame as Georgetown advances

May 17, 1999|By Paul McMullen | Paul McMullen,SUN STAFF

When Georgetown advanced last year past the opening round of the NCAA tournament for the first time, there was a giddy celebration.

After the fifth-seeded Hoyas handled Notre Dame, 14-10, yesterday before 2,374 at Towson's Minnegan Stadium and moved on again, there were as many shrugs as handshakes.

"This isn't the one we want to win; it's just one of them," Georgetown goalie Brian Hole said. "We've got a few more to win. Obviously, it's a good win, against a good team, but we'd like to come back next Saturday and play a little harder."

Georgetown will meet fourth-seeded Duke in Saturday's quarterfinals at Hofstra, and the Hoyas will have to be sharper and more consistent to reach the final four in a tournament in which they first appeared in 1997.

The Hoyas (12-2) hinted at being a little too cozy in their preparation for the Fighting Irish (8-6).

Georgetown had won their regular-season meeting by four goals. The Hoyas also were coming off a monumental regular-season win over Syracuse and a rugged week of exams, and it took them a while to settle in against Notre Dame, which forced a 7-7 halftime tie on one of Brad Owen's three goals.

Over the first 20 minutes of the second half, Georgetown went on a 4-0 run that proved to be the difference. Sophomore midfielder Mike Henehan scored twice and assisted on the other two goals during a stretch when Hole turned aside the few decent chances the Fighting Irish got.

"Ultimately, we just had more than they could handle," Georgetown coach Dave Urick said. "We wore them down. Before that, we didn't play with the focus we would normally have. In the second half, we had a lot of guys look at each other and say, `We can play a lot better.' "

Notre Dame held Greg McCavera, with a gaudy career point total of 225, to a season-low three on a goal and two assists, but fellow attackman Andy Flick burned the Fighting Irish for four goals.

"Georgetown is a very dangerous offensive team," Notre Dame coach Kevin Corrigan said. "There were too many unsettled situations when they turned nothing into something. I think them and Loyola are the two best offensive teams in the country."

The Fighting Irish, Midwest representative for the eighth time this decade, matched the Hoyas' firepower in the first half, when there were six ties.

Chris Dusseau gave Notre Dame its last lead, at 2-1, in the fifth minute, but Georgetown answered with three straight goals and never trailed again. Dusseau had two goals, and his younger brother, Steve, added a goal and an assist for the Hoyas.

Henehan's extra-man goal seven seconds into the second half put the Hoyas on top for good, and the lead ballooned to 11-7 when he fed Scott Urick with 11: 34 left. Notre Dame twice got as close as three goals, the last with 6: 06 left, when David Ulrich assisted fellow Boys' Latin product Tom Glatzel.

Notre Dame 3 4 0 3 -- 10

Georgetown 4 3 3 4 -- 14

Goals: ND--Owen 3, C.Dusseau 2, Glatzel 2, Flandins, T.Ulrich, Bishko; G--Flick 4, Henehan 3, Gamble 2, Doyle, S.Dusseau, McCavera, Urick, Wagner. Assists: ND--D.Ulrich 3, T.Ulrich 2, Bishko; G--Henehan 2, McCavera 2, Urick, Flick, S.Dusseau. Saves: ND--Howell 13; G--Hole 15.

Pub Date: 5/17/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.