McDonogh rallies past Gilman in OT

Benson scores 4, assists on 11-10 game-winner

MIAA lacrosse tournament

May 14, 1999|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

It's always darkest before dawn, the saying goes.

And that's how it must have seemed for No. 1 ranked McDonogh last night after blowing a two-goal lead and seeing Gilman tie their Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference tournament semifinal, 10-10, with 2: 32 left.

But 48 seconds into a four-minute overtime, the Eagles relocated the spotlight on a game-winning shot by Matt Primm. His goal ousted the defending champion Greyhounds, 11-10, in a hotly fought, see-saw game witnessed by about 3,000 loud fans at Johns Hopkins' Homewood Field.

The Eagles (19-2) next face third-seed Loyola (14-6), ranked No. 5 in The Sun and a 12-5 winner over No. 2 seed St. Mary's (10-5) in last night's earlier semifinal, next Friday night at Homewood in the title game.

McDonogh's Bobby Benson finished with four goals and three assists, including three straight goals to give the Eagles a 10-8 lead midway through the fourth period. His final assist set up Primm for the overtime game-winner.

The Eagles lost in overtime of last season's semifinal to eventual runner-up St. Paul's, and were 35-5 in their previous 40 games -- all five losses coming in overtime.

"I was joking with someone before the end that we might end up 0-6 in overtime," Benson said. "But I guess the experience of being in those games finally paid off."

Gilman All-Metro attackman Ryan Boyle, in his first game back after missing two because of hernia surgery, scored an extra-man goal and had the No. 4 Greyhounds within 10-9 with 6: 02 to play. He then assisted on Kevin Boland's third goal of the night, which tied the game for the fourth time at 10-10 with 2: 32 to play.

But McDonogh keeper Rob Scherr (12 saves) stopped four shots in the fourth period, including one at the end of regulation, and Ryan Floyd had four assists as the Eagles reached their first title game in the school's history.

Gilman's Andrew Lucas, who scored five goals in a first-round win over Boys' Latin but was shut out in last Friday's 17-5 loss to McDonogh, finished with three goals and two assists.

And Gilman All-Metro defender Damien Davis had six strips off checks and three running clears despite playing while on antibiotics for a flu-like illness.

Andrew Faraone and Jesse Kohler each had a goal and an assist for Gilman, which led 4-1 with 1: 07 left in the first period. But McDonogh scored six of the next seven goals for a 7-5 halftime lead, with all seven of the goals coming off assists.

"The seniors on this team have experienced an 0-10 season as freshmen," said Primm. "But the seniors wanted to rise to the challenge of getting to next Friday night. Gilman did everything possible not to let that happen."

Jay Pfiefer recorded seven saves in the Gilman goal.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.