Hebron waits, runs by Eagles

Warner's 3 goals, 2 assists lead Vikings' 10-4 victory

Class 1A-2A boys lacrosse

May 14, 1999|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Mount Hebron sloughed off Centennial's stall tactics with a patient defense and won the opening round game of the Class 1A-2A- South region playoffs yesterday, 10-4.

Attackman Bryan Warner scored three goals and had two assists to key the Vikings' offense, and goalkeeper Dan Valente, who ended with seven saves, came up big when he had to.

The county champion Vikings (10-5) will visit Oakland Mills in the next round at 2 p.m. Saturday. Mount Hebron defeated the Scorpions, 11-4, in the final league game Tuesday.

After losing by 14 goals to Mount Hebron during the regular season, Centennial knew it needed a different strategy yesterday, so the Eagles tried to keep the ball away from Mount Hebron's potent attack.

Instead, the Eagles, hit with a stall warning from the officials after a couple minutes, allowed Warner to score at 7: 44 and Mike Selawski to score at 5: 54.

"They did what we expected them to do with the stall, but we knew we'd eventually score," Vikings coach Jeff Doolan said.

Centennial (11-4) didn't take its first shot until 16 seconds remained in the first quarter -- and that missed. Nine seconds later, however, Justin Vettori found the net off a loose ball to end the quarter with Mount Hebron leading 2-1, the same first-quarter score as in the first game.

Warner made it 3-1 with 6: 06 left in the half. And Jon Machiran scored off Matt Midura's assist with 4: 23 left to create some breathing room for the Vikings.

The game got away from Centennial when the Eagles missed an open net and followed that by bouncing a shot off the pipe.

"We had a good game plan. We just weren't able to stick them in," Centennial coach Mike Siegert said. "We gave them the ball twice early but kept our poise and played with intensity, and you can't ask for more. Mount Hebron is a great team."

Midura's goal off Machiran's pass with 18 seconds left in the half was a back-breaker, leaving the Eagles behind, 5-1.

Early in the third period Centennial had another chance at a vacant net. Instead, quick-handed Valente knocked the ball out of an Eagle player's hands before he could shoot.

Machiran scored off Warner's assist at 8: 54 to go up 6-1. Centennial rallied on back-to-back goals by Dave Paolisso and Jim Fisher.

"Even at 6-3 we were happy," Doolan said. "We knew we would win. We didn't care about the final score."

Eagles goalkeeper Mike Schmidt kept his team in the game with seven saves..

Mount Hebron scored the first three goals of the fourth quarter to break it open.

When the Vikings were two men down with 3: 38 to play, leading 9-4, Valente made two spectacular saves to turn the Eagles away.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.