1st for Hereford: beating Dulaney

Bulls score 10-6 upset for 9th straight victory

May 12, 1999|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Not only was unranked Hereford's 10-6 upset at No. 9 Dulaney its first over a Lions' team, but it also made the Bulls the first Baltimore County program to win on Dulaney's home field.

Matt Curtis (two goals, two assists), Luke Gilbert (three goals) and Chris Lauer (three assists) helped Hereford (10-2 overall) win its ninth straight game and stay unbeaten (9-0) in Division I, the county's premier conference.

Hereford's Matt Miller scored twice and Todd Smith had a goal and an assist to help drop the Lions, last season's 3A-4A state runners-up, to 10-3 and 8-1.

Hereford became only the second team to score in double figures against Dulaney this season, joining top-ranked McDonogh, an earlier 11-4 winner over the Lions. Only McDonogh and No. 2 Boys' Latin, an earlier 9-3 winner after a 2-2 halftime tie, have held the Lions to fewer goals this season.

"They out-hustled and out-hit us," said Dulaney coach Gary Schreiber. "We couldn't get ground balls, couldn't clear. This is the worst game we've played."

Down 3-0 entering the second period, Gilbert, a 6-foot-5, 210-pound UMBC-bound attackman, scored Hereford's first goal with 8: 03 left in the half. The Bulls closed to within 3-2 six minutes later when Lauer assisted Miller.

"All we needed was a goal to get momentum," Gilbert said. "Once the jitters were gone, we knew it was feasible to beat these guys."

Trailing 4-2 at halftime, Hereford scored seven of the next eight goals for a 9-5 lead with 3: 02 left in the fourth period.

Smith and Todd Yates combined to win five of six faceoffs in the momentum-swinging third period, in which Hereford outscored Dulaney 4-1 for a 6-5 lead heading into the final period.

Only six seconds separated Hereford's first two goals of the second half by Kris Davis and Gilbert, respectively. The latter culminated a three-pass sequence off the faceoff for a 4-4 tie with 9: 14 left in the third period.

Bryant Will's third and final goal gave Dulaney its final lead, 5-4, with 6: 15 left in the third quarter, but the Lions did not score again until Bret Barrow made it 9-6 with 56 seconds to play.

Barrow scored twice, and teammate Jon Spivey once, but Dulaney's star attackman Steve Will did not have a goal or an assist.

"We wanted to shut down the Will brothers, so we went from zone to man-to-man in the second half," said defenseman Rob Bateman. "John Hanley alternated with me on those guys, and Adam Hendrix is big [6-4, 260] and he played great."

Hereford's Mike Stoltz (13 saves) stopped five of Dulaney's seven second-period shots and four of seven in the fourth period.

Hereford outshot Dulaney, 9-3, in the third quarter, putting all nine shots on goal. But Dulaney's Nick Mowbray recording four of his nine saves in that quarter.

With assists on five of its first six goals, Hereford went to one-on-one dodging. Consecutive goals by Josh Bateman and Matt Curtis, for an 8-5 lead with 6: 12 to play, were the result of one-on-one dodges against Dulaney's defense.

Curtis scored the game's final goal 26 seconds later off yet another one-on-one dodge as Hereford converted four of its five fourth-quarter shots. "The faceoffs started our comeback and set up our fast breaks. After that, we felt we could exploit them, one-on-one," Curtis said.

Lauer leads Hereford with 22 goals and 22 assists, followed by Gilbert (28, nine), Smith (16, 16), Curtis (13, 14) and Davis (19, one).

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.