Davis, Sev. Park work OT, win title

Shot with 12 seconds left in second extra session beats Annapolis, 6-5

May 12, 1999|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

To many Severna Park girls lacrosse players, Annapolis represents not only a physical opponent, but a psychological one as well.

Beth Davis helped shatter that barrier as the senior midfielder scored a goal with 12 seconds left in the second overtime period to seal a 6-5 Falcons victory and the school's second Anne Arundel County championship in three years last night in Annapolis.

Davis's free-position shot from the left wing broke No. 6 Severna Park's three-game losing streak to the fifth-ranked Panthers, who handed the Falcons their only loss of the season on April 27.

"It's nice to know that any team is beatable," said Severna Park coach Carin Peterson. "Annapolis had us last year, but this is just a steppingstone to the playoffs."

The Falcons (14-1) have a bye in the first round of the playoffs, but could meet the Panthers (14-1) again in Monday's third round.

"We'll see them again," vowed Annapolis coach Dave Gehrdes. "We did a real nice job defensively. We just missed some of our opportunities."

Despite having a 12-6 advantage in free positions, the Panthers converted only two into goals. After Severna Park junior defender Meg Miller scored the first goal 1: 46 into the game, junior goalkeeper Kim Lawton (10 saves) kept Annapolis off the board by stopping two free-position shots.

But with 9: 43 left, Panthers sophomore center Acacia Walker beat Lawton with a low shot to tie the game.

Less than four minutes later, Miller scored her second goal, but Walker and senior attack Christy McNew scored in a 62-second span to give Annapolis a 3-2 halftime lead.

Down 5-4 with 37 seconds left, Severna Park senior attack Jess Mundt fed junior midfielder Holly Noga in front, and she bounced the ball past junior goalie Emily Childs (10 saves) to tie the game at 5.

Near the end of the second overtime period, Davis was fouled as she tried to weave her way through a thicket of Annapolis defenders. Awarded a free position, Davis said she understood the significance.

"I knew that time was running low," recalled Davis, who led the team with two goals and an assist. "I just put my whole heart into it and threw all of my power into [the shot.]"

The ball eluded Childs' stick and the title was Severna Park's. But Peterson said she felt confident that her squad would win the game.

"When we tied it up to get it into overtime, I could feel the momentum going our way," she said. "The character of our girls just wouldn't give up."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.