Laurel man gets life term in killing

Clerk shot five times on Valentine's Day '95

May 11, 1999|By Andrea F. Siegel | Andrea F. Siegel,SUN STAFF

An Anne Arundel County judge sentenced a Laurel man yesterday to life in prison for the Valentine's Day 1995 shooting death of Angelia K. Hamilton, 22, a mobile telephone store clerk -- a murder for which police and prosecutors say there is no motive.

Judge Clayton Greene Jr. ordered the sentence to run consecutively to the life term the murderer, Shaun J. Holman, 26, is serving for other crimes.

The sentence was harsher than prosecutors had asked for when they sought a plea agreement with Holman.

"My whole goal was to make sure he never again hit the streets. I never wanted him to walk free," said Assistant State's Attorney Warren Davis.

FOR THE RECORD - An article in Tuesday's editions incorrectly explained events leading police to tie Shaun J. Holman of Laurel to the Feb. 14, 1995, murder of Angelia K. Hamilton. The article should have said that Holman had been convicted in Prince George's County of several crimes and was serving two life sentences plus 13 years when Anne Arundel police connected him to the killing of Hamilton last year.
The Sun regrets the errors.

In exchange for Holman's guilty plea to first-degree murder, prosecutors agreed to ask that his life sentence be served at the same time as his other prison terms. Presentence investigators recommended adding time to those sentences.

Hamilton, a newlywed who had moved with her husband to Maryland from Sallisaw, Okla., for jobs that would give them a better financial start, worked at the Car Tel Mobile Communications store in the 3400 block of Laurel Fort Meade Road. Holman walked in and asked to see telephones. As Hamilton opened the display case, Holman shot her five times. She died a few hours later.

The question of why Holman opened fire continues to trouble Hamilton's family, according to their written statements to the court. Yesterday, neither Holman nor his attorney, Daryl Jones, had an answer when Greene asked why Holman murdered her.

"Her purse, with the wallet, was untouched," Davis said. Nor did investigators find a link between the two. Nor was evidence found that Holman was a drug user.

"It's just a simple case of cold-blooded murder," Davis said.

Greene watched a videotaped statement from Hamilton's parents and one of her brothers before the hearing. He said he would play it in court if Holman, to whom some of the remarks were addressed, wanted to see it. Holman said no.

Written statements indicate the victim's family was shattered: Her embittered teen-age brother quit school, her father's health has been eroded by depression, her mother has become reclusive, and her older brother tries to raise his daughter while coping with a devastated family.

"Some days I just cry all day, but try to pull myself together before my husband and son come home," Sharon Teague said in a written statement. She said her daughter and son-in-law Brandon Hamilton planned to return home after making a financial start, and her daughter hoped to teach kindergarten.

Hamilton's older brother, Calvin Teague, said his sister was his best friend in whom he confided secrets he could share with no one else, and he implored the judge to ask why Holman killed his sister.

"My words can also never properly express how much pain her death caused myself and my family," he wrote.

Holman had been a suspect initially, but early leads didn't pan out, police said.

On Halloween morning 1994, Holman shot two brothers in a Laurel park when they turned down his request for a cold drink, cash or cigarettes. A few months later, he shot Hamilton. Six days afterward, two Laurel businesses were robbed at gunpoint. Hamilton was convicted and sentenced in the Prince George's cases, but it wasn't until three years later that Anne Arundel police connected him to Hamilton's slaying.

Detectives on Anne Arundel's "cold case" squad connected a gun that had been sitting in a Prince George's police evidence room with bullets recovered from the shooting and then to Holman, who by that time was serving two concurrent life sentences for attempted murder and 13 years for the armed robbery.

Pub Date: 5/11/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.