Boat sinks, killing boy

Watercraft capsizes from wake created by passing vessel

`Cruiser never stopped'

Parents, brother uninjured in accident on Patapsco River

May 10, 1999|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,SUN STAFF

A 10-year-old Northwest Baltimore boy was killed but his family escaped injury when his father's pleasure boat capsized yesterday on the Patapsco River.

Richard McIntire, a spokesman for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, said the boat was traveling south off Dundalk Marine Terminal and nearing the Key Bridge about 1 p.m. when the wake of a cabin cruiser, also southbound, caused it to capsize.

"The other boat's wake struck the family's boat and caused it to overturn and sink," McIntire said. "The cabin cruiser never stopped."

McIntire identified the boy as Darell D. Draughm of the 3000 block of Cottage Ave.

He said the boy's father, Clinton C. Carpenter, 47, his mother, Linda Draughm, 36, and his brother, Quinton J. Draughm, 13, were pulled from the 50-degree water by the occupants of another pleasure boat.

McIntire said Baltimore County police divers found the boy's body about 7 p.m. yesterday in the 17-foot boat in more than 30 feet of murky water near the accident scene -- about a half-mile north of the bridge and less than a mile from Dundalk Marine Terminal.

McIntire said the divers took the boy, who was wearing a life vest, from the boat before the craft was raised by flotation devices and taken to a marina for inspection.

McIntire said Carpenter purchased the boat about two weeks ago and had little marine experience. He said the family left a docking facility near Harbor Hospital Center off Hanover Street in southern Baltimore about 12: 30 p.m. for a Mother's Day excursion on the river.

McIntire said when the wake capsized the boat, Carpenter, who was not wearing a life vest, Ms. Draughm and Quinton were thrown into the water and rescued minutes later. They were taken to a service pier under the Key Bridge, he said.

He said a search for Darell was launched almost immediately but civilian watercraft failed to locate him.

McIntire said marine units from DNR, Baltimore City, Baltimore and Anne Arundel counties, the Coast Guard and state police, and Baltimore County and state police helicopters searched for Darell.

About 7 p.m., Baltimore County police divers found Darell's body. "He was hung up in the boat and was still wearing his life vest," McIntire said.

McIntire said while the river has no speed limit where the accident occurred, operators of watercraft are expected to respect the safety of other boats.

"It's a simple matter of obeying the rules of the road," he said.

Sun staff writer Amy Oakes contributed to this article.

Pub Date: 5/10/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.