St. Mary's pays back Severn with 13-5 romp

No. 5 Saints avenge loss, earn bye in MIAA playoffs

Boys lacrosse

May 09, 1999|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

The last thing a team needs to do after beating its rival is to hang around on the other guy's field to celebrate and pose for pictures.

That's the mistake ninth ranked Severn School made on April 30 after an 11-10 victory at No. 5-ranked St. Mary's.

The Admirals (7-9 overall) paid dearly for it yesterday at home, as the Saints (11-4) rolled to a 13-5 victory to clinch a bye in the coming Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference playoffs.

Severn had not beaten St. Mary's since 1993 before its victory nine days ago at Weems Whelan in Annapolis.

"When they stayed on the field after the game, that really got us fired up," said St. Mary's senior midfielder Matt Locascio, who along with teammate Joe Thompson scored three goals.

"First of all, it's Severn and us, and they want to try and rub it in our face?" said Locascio. "What a mistake."

Chris Garrity's spectacular play in goal in the first half kept the Admirals from pulling off another picture day.

Garrity, who finished with 14 saves, made at least four extraordinary blocks from point-blank range as the Saints warmed up offensively.

Junior Ronnie Staines led a spirited Severn close-defense that stymied the Saints' attack in the first half. The Saints took a hard-earned 4-3 halftime lead before erupting in the third period.

Locascio scored only one goal in the first game against the Admirals and felt he didn't play well. Yesterday, he sparked a five-goal third period with two scores as the Saints took a 9-5 lead and the momentum into the last 12 minutes.

Defenseman Kevin Stodd anchored a zone defense -- something the Saints did not not use in the first game -- and helped keep the Admirals off the scoreboard the rest of the way.

"We ran four midfields, six or seven attackmen and played a lot of players," said Saints coach Jim Moorhead, savoring his 220th career (220-87) win in 20 seasons.

"By playing that zone, we denied them good shots."

St. Mary's won its division at 7-3, taking the second seed and getting the winner of Tuesday's first-round game between No. 6 St. Paul's (13-5, 5-5) at No. 3 Loyola (9-4, 6-4) on Thursday at Johns Hopkins.

Top-ranked McDonogh (18-2, 8-2) clinched the top seed with a 17-5 romp over No. 2 Gilman (10-4, 7-3) on Friday and will play the Gilman-No. 4 Boys' Latin (16-3) winner in Thursday's other game at Hopkins.

Will Dammeyer's goal in the first minute of the second half tied the game at 4, but Chris Summers, who had one goal and three assists, set up Locascio about five minutes later for a 5-4 St. Mary's lead.

After Severn's Drew Habeck tied it at 5 with 6: 02 left in the third period, the Saints took control, closing the period with four straight goals.

Brent Bowman, Thompson, Locascio and Tim Shanley, with 50 seconds left, did the honors.

Thompson, Justin Mullen, Summers and Tom Mikula -- from Matt Lehman with just under four minutes until the buzzer -- closed the scoring for the Saints.

Pub Date: 5/09/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.