Historic farmhouse in Union Mills destroyed by second fire in a year

May 09, 1999|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A vacant historic farmhouse in Union Mills, which accidentally caught fire a year ago, was destroyed by arson Thursday evening, state fire marshals said.

The blaze was reported by neighbors in the 3300 block of Murkle Road about 6: 15 p.m., and the two-story single-family dwelling, worth an estimated $30,000, was engulfed in flames when the first of 40 firefighters arrived from Pleasant Valley, Taneytown, Westminster and Alpha, Pa., authorities said.

Pumping water from a nearby creek, firefighters had the blaze under control within 40 minutes, said fire officials, who believe a portion of the house was built before the Civil War.

A fire caused by a faulty electric dryer occurred at the same location May 21. The house had been vacant since.

Pub Date: 5/09/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.