Essex man is charged in shooting of neighbor

Incident stemmed from argument over loud music, police say

May 06, 1999|By Dail Willis | Dail Willis,SUN STAFF

A dispute over loud music escalated into nearly fatal violence at an Essex apartment complex, county police said, leaving one man shot five times and another charged with attempted murder.

Alvin Stewart Morgan, 26, of the 1600 block of Rickenbacker Road in the Village of Tall Trees apartment complex, was shot in the entryway Tuesday night, police said, after a confrontation about Morgan making too much noise.

Charged with the shooting was James Herman Williams, 71, also of the 1600 block of Rickenbacker Road, according to police.

"He was irritated by noise and went out to listen to the radio in his car," said Bill Toohey, Baltimore County police spokesman said of Williams. "On the way out, he remembered he'd forgotten his gun, so he went back to get it -- and on the way back out, he was confronted."

Police and neighbors said that Williams and Morgan got into a shouting match at the foot of the apartment building's stairs about 8 p.m., with Morgan shouting profanities at Williams.

"I was out with the dogs, and I saw it," said Gary Haase, who also lives in the building. "The other guy followed him down the steps, arguing, and he just shot him at the bottom of the steps."

Williams told police that he had shot Morgan during the dispute, according to court documents.

He also told them that he went inside to call the Essex precinct, but could not remember the number, and was getting ready to drive himself to the precinct when police arrived.

Morgan and his girlfriend, whose name was not released by police, moved into the apartment complex about a month ago, said residents of the two-story brick building.

Neighbors had complained about the noise coming from their apartment, including shouting and loud music.

"The people in Apartment F was making a lot of noise," said Sandra Ash, who lives on the first floor of the building.

Williams, who had lived there for about five years, was popular with neighbors, Ash and Haase said.

Williams was denied bail and was being held at the Baltimore County Detention Center last night.

Morgan, who was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, was stable in serious condition, a nursing supervisor said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.