Lakers put away psyched Dulaney

Seven second-half goals win for Boys' Latin, 9-3

May 02, 1999|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

As the son of Dulaney's athletic director, Boys' Latin goalie Ryan Lafferty had heard first-hand how much the Lions were pointing toward yesterday's meeting.

"We wanted this one big-time," said Dulaney goalie Nick Mowbray. "We wanted it like a state championship game."

The fifth-ranked Lakers (15-3) needed nearly three quarters to douse the fired-up, 10th-ranked Lions. But they did it, scoring seven second-half goals on the way to a 9-3 victory.

The Lakers broke a 2-2 first-half tie by smothering the Lions in the second half of the fourth annual Maryland High School Lacrosse Showdown at Johns Hopkins University, a tournament featuring four of the area's better teams each year.

Chris Edwards scored all of his three goals and Dan LaMonica scored his one goal and assisted on four more during the Lakers' decisive 7-0 run.

For the game, Boys' Latin's Brian Nee also scored twice and had an assist, and Kevin Sullivan put in two goals.

After Dulaney (6-2) took a 3-2 lead with 8: 31 left in the third period on a goal by Bryant Will, LaMonica twice fed Edwards to grab the lead permanently for the Lakers -- the second score making it 4-3 heading into the fourth period.

"They played a zone, kept it in tight, and it took us a while to figure it out," said LaMonica. "They came out ready to go, and we probably took them for granted."

The Lakers' scoring intensified over the early part of the fourth period, while Dulaney was without second-team All-Metro defenseman Josh Tracy, who reinjured his left ankle as time lapsed in the third quarter.

Tracy rejoined veteran defensemen Scott Williams and Tim Bednarzik late in the game, but the momentum had shifted permanently to Boys' Latin.

"It seemed like when Josh went down, our defense let down to a point," said Mowbray, who finished with 14 saves.

Mowbray, whose team trailed 1-0 after one period, stopped five of the Lakers' first eight shots and twice left the goal in the first period to run clears into the offense.

Dulaney's Bart Rommel won five of seven faceoffs in the first half, which saw the Lions tie the game the first of three times when Steve Will assisted Jon Spivey to make it 1-1.

But Sullivan made it 2-1 on his second goal with 3: 32 left in the first half, beating Mowbray one-on-one after his second uncontested 45-yard sprint of the game. Dulaney's Mark McLewee tied the game for the half, however, with an unassisted one-hopper in the final 31 seconds.

"I know a bunch of their players, and I knew they'd be ready for us," Lafferty said. "We were a little shaky at first but finally closed the door."

In the other Showdown boys game yesterday, second-ranked St. Mary's (10-4) scored a 9-5 win over unranked Howard County power Mount Hebron (6-5).

St. Mary's keeper Chris Garrity closed the door on Mount Hebron with 16 saves, three with his team two men down for 40 seconds.

Garrity also assisted on a goal by Chris Summers as the Saints ended a four-game winning streak by the Vikings.

For St. Mary's, which had feeds on all nine of its scores, Summers had two goals and two assists, and Tim Shanley, Justin Mullen, Joe Thompson each had a goal and an assist.

With the Saints ahead 6-4 at halftime, Summers sparked a 3-0 run in the third period. He first assisted Shanley with six minutes left in the third period, then scored on a pass from Matt White for an 8-4 lead 21 seconds before the fourth.

Mount Hebron was one for five in extra-man situations against Garrity and defenders Steve Kuehn, Kevin Stodd and Matt Pessango.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.