Mawrtians make Reds feel blue in 8-8 tie

Hardiman's fourth tally ends 4-goal rally for draw

April 30, 1999|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

The cheers at the end of the 8-8 tie told the tale yesterday. Bryn Mawr did all the cheering. Roland Park remained silent.

Third-ranked Roland Park (12-1-2) led by as many as three goals early in the second half of the Association of Independent Schools A Division non-league game. But the No. 2 Mawrtians (13-1-1) scored four times in the last 16: 39 to tie.

"This is a good tie," said Bryn Mawr's Tara Hardiman of one of local sports' most spirited neighborhood rivalries. "We came back, and we're happy about that."

Hardiman's fourth goal tied the game with 4: 02 left. She finished off a transition play that turned on Miles Whitman's speed.

After a missed pass in the Reds' end sent a ground ball rolling toward midfield, Whitman scooped it up. With a jump on most of the Reds, she broke into the last 20 yards with a three-on-two Mawrtians advantage.

Hardiman's defender left her to pick up Whitman, and Whitman hit her open teammate with a pass. Hardiman spun and scored over the shoulder of Reds goalie Meghan McInnes.

"Miles did a really good job of wheeling all the way down the field," said Hardiman. "The defense had no choice but to drop off, and I was open. I just concentrated on turning and putting it in."

Defense became critical in the final minutes as Roland Park's Caline McHenry and Meghan Kelly and the Mawrtians' Jen Ahn and goalie Amy Price each made plays to maintain the tie.

The host Reds had a couple of shots to win in the last two minutes, but Price stopped Betsy Gaines' skimmer from about 8 meters with 1: 41 left. Elizabeth Ryan fired wide of the goal with 4.8 seconds to go, and Price won the ball behind the crease.

"It is a little frustrating, especially if you do have the lead in a game like this," said Reds coach Tara Kramer, whose team rallied from four goals down last year to win, 14-10. "The positive thing is you know what you did well, and you know what you did not so well. Hopefully, we'll meet again."

The Reds asserted themselves after halftime with back-to-back goals from Gaines and Alex Thomas for a 7-4 lead. The defense held Bryn Mawr scoreless for nearly 10 minutes until Whitman and Hardiman hit free-position goals about a minute apart, making the lead one goal.

Kelsey Twist's free-position goal pushed the Reds ahead 8-6, but the Mawrtians defense shut them down the rest of the way.

With 7: 29 left, Bryn Mawr's Katie Coyne cut the Mawrtians' deficit to 8-7 on a free-position goal.

"They did a good job of taking it in and drawing those fouls," said Reds defender Kristin Sudina. "Although we did have those fouls, I would much rather have the opposing team have a penalty shot than a one-on-one."

Pub Date: 4/30/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.