Fire damage to restaurant put at $50,000

April 27, 1999|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A discarded cigarette butt was blamed for starting a mulch fire that heavily damaged a Westminster seafood restaurant during Sunday's dinner hour, authorities said.

The Long John Silver Seafood Restaurant in the 100 block of Mall Ring Road sustained an estimated $50,000 in damage, authorities said. An undetermined number of diners and three employees detected a burning odor and left the building at 6: 22 p.m.

Smoldering mulch near the front door ignited a fire in the restaurant's exterior wall and spread to the roof, state fire marshals said.

No one was injured as 35 firefighters from Westminster and Reese brought the blaze under control in 30 minutes.

The restaurant will remain closed until repairs can be made, fire officials said.

Pub Date: 4/27/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.