In wild affair, No. 7 Delaware rallies to beat Penn State, 12-11

Princeton wins Ivy title

9-goal run leads Syracuse


April 25, 1999|By FROM STAFF REPORTS

Dennis DeBusschere converted off an assist from John Grant with 1: 11 left to propel seventh-ranked Delaware to a 12-11 win over No. 11 Penn State last night in men's lacrosse at Rullo Stadium in Newark, Del.

The game featured four ties and three lead changes, and neither team led by more than two goals from the second quarter on.

Penn State (8-3) twice led by two goals in the third quarter, the last at 10-8 with 5: 04 left. But Delaware went ahead (11-10) on Chris Purpura's goal with 7: 51 remaining.

The Nittany Lions pulled even on a goal by Don Mayerhofer with 4: 28 left.

* No. 10 Princeton 9, Cornell 6: Senior goalkeeper Corey Popham had 15 saves and Lorne Smith and B. J. Prager each had two goals as the visiting Tigers (6-3, 5-0) won their fifth straight Ivy League championship.

The Tigers also tied Cornell for the most league titles with 17.

Princeton led 6-2 after three periods before consecutive goals by Sean Steinwald (four goals) pulled the Big Red (5-6, 3-2) within 6-4 early in the fourth. But the Tigers answered with goals by Smith and Chris Harrington.

* No. 4 Syracuse 16, Pennsylvania 7: The Orangemen (7-2) used nine consecutive goals covering the middle quarters on the way to victory at the Carrier Dome. Matt Cutia and Josh Coffman paced Syracuse with three goals apiece.

The Quakers (6-7) were held scoreless for more than 25 minutes in the second and third quarters.

* No. 9 Hofstra 16, Army 9: Doug Shanahan had four goals and Scott Dooley three to lead the visiting Flying Dutchmen (9-2) to their ninth straight win. Shanahan and Dooley both scored in the opening seven minutes as Hofstra jumped ahead 5-0.

Shanahan had the only two goals of the third quarter, the last giving Hofstra its largest lead yet, 14-7, with 11: 54 left.

* No. 15 Ohio State 7, Air Force 6: Kevin Stephan converted just over a minute into sudden-death overtime to lift the Buckeyes (8-3, 2-1) over the Falcons (2-10, 0-3) in a Great Western League game in Colorado. Ohio State overcame two three-goal deficits for its first lead (6-5) with 2: 48 left in regulation.

The Falcons converted with 1: 34 remaining to force the extra period.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.