Bell's goal 40 seconds into overtime gives Loyola 10-9 upset of McDonogh

Dons force overtime in last regulation minute

April 24, 1999|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

The scene was set for No. 3-ranked McDonogh to reclaim the top ranking that it had lost in the beginning of the season, but on a wet, dreary afternoon, Loyola played spoiler yesterday.

Senior midfielder Kyle Bell's goal 40 seconds into overtime led the 8-4 Dons, ranked fifth in The Sun poll, to a 10-9 upset of the host Eagles (12-2).

McDonogh is 30-5 in its past 35 games, with all five losses -- the first and last against Loyola -- having come in sudden death.

The loss likely ended McDonogh's bid to regain the area's No. 1 ranking during a season when an unprecedented four Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference teams have occupied the top spot. This past Tuesday, current No. 1 Gilman lost to sixth-ranked St. Mary's, and the Eagles downed No. 2 Boys' Latin.

"I had a good feeling about today," said Loyola senior goalkeeper Nick Antol, who finished with 17 saves. "We needed a quality win. This picked up our spirits."

Down 9-8 with less than a minute left in regulation, the Dons got possession and with 28 seconds left called a timeout to set up their offense.

Stationed at the left wing, Bell passed to junior attackman Brian Miller about 5 yards in front of the goal, and he whipped an underhand grounder past McDonogh senior goalkeeper Rob Scherr to tie the score and force extra time.

Overtime was delayed for about 25 minutes as officials waited for a thunderstorm to pass. Loyola coach Joe McFadden took the time to seek out senior midfielder and faceoff specialist Tom Melanson.

"I told him, `Go get the faceoff,' " McFadden recalled. "All I wanted was one last possession."

Melanson accomplished his mission, and McFadden called a timeout again to set his offense.

This time, junior midfielder Devin Weatherley worked from behind the goal to Sherr's right and from about 5 feet threaded a pass across the crease to Bell, who put his game-winning shot into the vacated near-side of the net.

Bell credited Weatherley with drawing the defense away from the goal.

"He slid down the back side and opened up the middle for me," Bell said. "It was Devin's effort. All I did was score the goal."

The Dons owned the beginning of the game as senior attacker John Cummings scored all three of his goals in the first 4: 20, and senior attacker T.J. Morton put in the first of his two goals to stake Loyola to a quick 4-0 lead.

But the Eagles matched that run with one of their own, and senior attacker Matt Primm's bouncing goal with 2: 34 left in the second quarter gave them a 5-4 lead at halftime.

In the second half, McDonogh built small leads, only to see the Dons narrow the gap. The Eagles rode the broad shoulders of senior attacker Bobby Benson, who notched four of his five goals in the second half.

"He's a big, strong kid," said McFadden. "We ran different guys at him -- but same results."

McDonogh coach Jake Reed took the blame for the loss.

"Our guys played a great game, [but] I got out-coached," he said. "That's all I have to say."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.