Tax questions

April 14, 1999

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through Thursday.

My nephew lives with me. He is a college student. He is 26 years old. He worked and made less than $6,000. Can I claim him as a dependent since I provided his shelter, food and so on? His tuition was paid by his father, who does not live at my place of residence.

No. Because your nephew is over the age of 24, he must have less than $2,700 of gross income to be claimed as a dependent.

Jeanne Singer, CPA, KellerBruner & Co. LLC The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

Pub Date: 4/14/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.