Tax questions

April 12, 1999

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through Thursday.

The week after my husband and I filed our taxes, a woman I did some consulting for sent me a miscellaneous income form stating that I earned $800. I had totally forgotten about it. What do I have to do?

You will need to amend your federal and Maryland returns to claim the $800 as income. Remember to claim any associated expense against the $800 of income. Complete Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ, as well as Schedule SE if the net income exceeds $400. You should try to file by April 15, 1999, to avoid interest and penalty assessments.

James Wilhelm, CPA, Koehler, Sparks & Hammond

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial, The Sun's telephone information service, at 410-783-1800. Call 410-268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 410-836-5028 in Harford County, 410-848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after the greeting. To submit questions by e-mail and access an online tax guide, go to The Sun's Web site at

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered personally.

Pub Date: 4/12/99

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.